Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Love in the Real Nitty-Gritty of Life - Apples of Gold - May 6, 2009 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.

 

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for May 6, 2009

“Love in the Real Nitty-Gritty of Life”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

“I came home and there was blood everywhere,” she said.

“It was all over the kitchen and all over him.  He did it, but I felt sorry for him.  He was just trying to help.”

What he was, was a family member with Alzheimer’s.

She continued, “Before I went to work he asked me what we were having for dinner.  I said, ‘Chicken.’  So he went out and got a real, live chicken, brought it in the kitchen and…”

And I think that’s enough of that story.

You see, it got to the point that he could not be left alone.  That’s what happens with Alzheimer’s patients.  At some point, for safety, they just can’t be left alone.

But that puts a lot of pressure on their caretaker.  Yes, you may love them, and you don’t want to put them in some facility, but sometimes you need a break from the stress.

Well today I read about a church that is doing something for these caretakers. 
Lake Ellen Baptist Church is going to provide what they call “respite care.” 

What that means is that if you are caring for someone with Alzheimer’s, then once a week you will be able to drop them off at the church and be free for a while.  The church and its partners will take care of them.  It will be a nice getaway for the person with Alzheimer’s, and a welcome break for their caretaker.

The thing I like about this is that it is love in action.  It’s the kind of thing you do when you love people.  It’s love in the real nitty-gritty of life.

Now listen.  I believe in good doctrine and Bible study and prayer.  I believe in standing up for righteousness.

But look what Jesus said to the church in Ephesus in Revelation chapter two.  They were hard workers who stood for truth.  They even suffered for the name of Christ.

“Yet I hold this against you,” Jesus said.  “You have forsaken your first love.  Remember the height from which you have fallen!  Repent and do the things you did at first.”

And what did they do at first?

Well the Bible doesn’t exactly say.  But it does say what others did at first.

Look at Zacchaeus.  He met Jesus, and what did he do?  He said, “Lord!  Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor…”

What was that?  I think it was an overflowing heart of love – a love from God that flows towards people in need.

Notice that Zacchaeus didn’t give half his possessions to Jesus.  No, he gave them to people in need.

Now look in the book of Acts, at what the early church did at first. 

In Acts 2 we read that, “All the believers were together and had everything in common.  Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.”

What was that?  I think it was an overflowing heart of love – a love from God that flows towards people in need.

Now let me tell you, I really see this love in my mother.  I know Mother’s Day is coming up, so here’s to you, Mom! 

Anyway, my mom does pedicures.  And she does great pedicures, just ask all the women in my family.  But now listen to this.  Listen to her specialty.  She doesn’t cater to the highest clientele.  She doesn’t market her business to the wealthiest people in town.  Even though she may do the best pedicures in town, she mostly reaches out to older folks who truly need someone to take care of their feet.

For her, yes it is a business, but that is only part of it.  For her it is primarily a ministry, an act of love, a way to really reach out and help someone in need. 

And she is constantly telling others about this need.  If you do pedicures, my mom wants you to know that there are people out there who need your help, because at a certain stage in life it’s hard to care for your own feet.

So for you pedicurists out there, think about and pray about whether this might be a calling for you. 

Now Jesus warned the church at Ephesus that they had lost their first love, and to go back and do the things they did at first.

Well what I’ve seen in my mother is that she is still doing those things she did at first.  All of my life she has loved and cared for the needy, especially older folks. 

What is that?  I think it’s an overflowing heart of love – a love from God that flows towards people in need.

It seems to be especially present in the hearts of new believers, but over time that love can diminish.  So called “reality” can set in, and we don’t love people so much.

Well this is our call to get back where we belong.  We need to let God’s love overflow in our hearts and flow out to people in need.

Maybe it’s time to soften our hearts, set some things aside if we have to.  Whatever it takes, we need to be loving people like we should…down in the real nitty-gritty of life.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip 
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: