Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Which Comes First, the Christian Flag or the American Flag? - Apples of Gold - July 22, 2009 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.

 

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for July 22, 2009

“Which Comes First, the Christian Flag or the American Flag?”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Gay adoption is banned in Florida.

This week Governor Crist is promoting adoption throughout the state, but some are criticizing him for supporting the ban on gay adoption.

People who declare themselves to be homosexual are not allowed to adopt children in Florida; however, they are allowed to have foster children.

In fact, according to today’s Tallahassee Democrat, the Department of Children and Families actively recruits homosexuals to be foster parents.

Now you can’t have it both ways.  How can you recruit them to be foster parents, but then tell them they can’t adopt?

Okay, so are you going to tell them they can no longer be foster parents?  Does anyone see that happening?   

So if our current position is, as Joe Jackson would say, “a bunch of jive,” then which direction are we headed?

Do you think we are headed toward legalizing gay adoption?

Do you think we are headed toward full legalization of gay marriage?

Is it un-American to deny them their equal rights?

Now let me change gears in a big way.

I am an American, born and raised.  I don’t let the flag touch the ground, and I thank God for the freedom and peace I’ve enjoyed here my entire life.

But let me tell you, my first allegiance is to my Lord and Savior.  I am a Christian first, then an American. 

Now I know that makes me sound like a religious fanatic, but that’s okay because that’s what I am.  Jesus Christ saved me.  I have the Spirit of God.  I have His peace and joy and hope.  The Lord is the Creator who started this world and we all must answer to Him. 

I thank God I live in a country where I can express that belief freely, I can share it publicly, and I can openly spread the good news so that others can come into a right relationship with God.

So yes, I’m a Christian fanatic.  And that’s why this thing I saw the other day bothered me.

Let me tell you what I saw, and then what I thought about it, because I think it is very symbolic.

I saw a color guard that had both an American flag and a Christian flag.  And they did what they always do.  All other flags were dropped lower than the American flag. 

I understand that.  I’ve seen it many times.  That’s the way we were taught.  The American flag is preeminent.

But that’s not the way I feel about it.  This is going to sound like heresy to some, but I cringe when I see that Christian flag lowered below the American flag. 

To me it is symbolic.  I see Christians all over the country saying, “Well, my Christian beliefs are one thing, but they must bow before my country.”

What?  Just because we love our country doesn’t mean it comes before Christ.

Here is something else I see when that Christian flag is lowered.  I see us all saying, “Rights before righteousness.”

Think about it.  Do we stand up more for rights or righteousness?

I fully believe that righteousness comes first.  Righteousness does not bow down to rights. 

Now I know that having our rights is the American way, but if rights come before righteousness, then our foundation will crumble.

The more moral and righteous we are as a nation, the stronger we will be.  The more immoral and unrighteous we are, the weaker we will be.

So the more we change our laws to allow or approve unrighteousness, then the weaker the nation gets.

Am I picking on homosexuality?  Not at all.  If I had one hammer to swing, I would rather swing it at adultery.  People are right when they point out the hypocrisy of adulterous conservatives.  

But I am a sinner, too.  We are all sinners, separated from our Creator. 

But thank God, through Jesus Christ, we can all be made righteous in His sight!  And then, through the Holy Spirit within us, He will lead us to live in all righteousness.

It’s not rights that make this nation strong, but righteousness.  It’s not the American way that is so wonderful, it’s God’s way. 

America is great only to the degree that its people use their rights to pursue righteousness.

But when we use our rights to pursue unrighteousness, we lose the blessing of God, our family units break apart, and the nation decays.

John Adams said, “Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.  It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

Yes, we are nation of liberties and rights.  That will work great as long as people in general pursue righteousness.  But it is “wholly inadequate” when the people move away from righteousness.

So let’s stand for righteousness today. 

That is the solid foundation that our country must be built on.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip 
 
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: