Thursday, May 06, 2010

Popsicles - Apples of Gold - May 6, 2010 -vi-

Click here to listen to the radio version.   

Click here to search the AOG archives.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for May 6, 2010

“Popsicles”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

I slowly lowered the Popsicle from my mouth, stunned.

I had never seen anything like it before.

But what do you expect?  I was just a boy, sitting at my little grade school desk.

It was right around this time of year, and when our upstairs classroom would get a little stuffy the teacher would prop open the door that opened out onto the fire escape.

There was no air conditioning in schools back then, and in the winter our heat came from the radiator under the windows.

But this was springtime, a great time to play outside at recess then come back in, try to cool off and actually learn something.

Well this day was someone’s birthday, and that meant snacks for the whole class.  It was usually homemade cookies, or if you were lucky, Ding Dongs wrapped in aluminum foil.

The school day was almost over when the birthday girl’s mom showed up and you’re not going to believe it.  She brought Popsicles!

That’s right, genu-ine ice cold Popsicles for the whole class.  And not those cheap one-sticker Popsicles.  These were the two-stickers – twice the sugary goodness for everyone!

As I sat there at my little desk I thought, “What kind of person passes out Popsicles for their birthday?”  I think the glow of the Popsicles rubbed off on the birthday girl as I began to think, “Wow, this must be, like, the coolest girl ever.”

There was excitement in the room as she passed out the Popsicles.  And you know, you can’t really lollygag around when it comes to eating Popsicles. 

So I was devouring my Popsicle with the rest of the herd when I suddenly heard a little commotion over by the fire escape.  I looked up just in time to see the girl giggle at the fact that she had run out of Popsicles.  Everyone got one…but her.

“Hmmm,” I thought, as I returned to mine.  “That didn’t work out very well.  The birthday girl won’t get a Popsicle; that’s too bad.”

Now here is where my memory slows down to capture every detail.  I can still picture the boy to my left.  He sprang from his seat, but in my mind it’s all in slow motion.  He moved toward the birthday girl, and what was he doing?  He was pointing something at her.

Now I wish I knew what was going on in that boy’s head.  What happened at his house that morning?  What kind of things had he been seeing at home?

You know, a dad has a big impact on a son.  Little boys watch their daddy, and they pick up a lot of their traits.  And they especially pick up their attitude towards the opposite sex.

Oh, if dads would show a little more courtesy, a little more respect. 

Here’s a word you don’t hear much anymore:  chivalry.

That’s when a man is courteous to women, all women:  Moms and sisters, old and young, pretty and not-so-much.  He is kind to them, not for selfish gain, but just because he should be.  He looks out for their needs and their feelings.

Yes, he opens the door for them.  No, not because they can’t do it themselves.  Of course they can do it themselves, that’s not the point at all.  It’s just something nice to do for someone.

It’s called chivalry, and every man needs to learn it.

It’s the opposite of selfishness.  In our crass society, men often use women for their own pleasure or comfort.  They take advantage of them, and this should not be.

Chivalry includes manners and etiquette.  It includes social graces and wisdom and knowledge.  It includes emotional intelligence – how to do the right thing at the right time to look out for others.

And I think that includes special care for females. 

First Peter 3:7 tells husbands to honor their wives as the “weaker vessel.”  Now don’t get offended ladies.  That’s like comparing a rugged plastic pitcher of tea to a fine
China tea pot.  Yes, the China is more fragile, and there’s nothing negative about it.  But it does deserve special care.

As Christians we are to love one another and serve one another and be kind to one another.  Ephesians even says to “submit to one another.”

So men, where is your chivalry?  Maybe it’s time to take it up a notch, and start showing more care for the fairer gender. 

And dads, keep in mind that your little boy is watching and he will mirror your attitude towards women.

I wonder if that’s what happened that day at Franklin Elementary School.  I wonder if that father’s attitude finally came busting out of his son.

I wonder if that’s why he jumped out of his seat, rushed toward the birthday girl and said, “Here.  You can have half of mine.”

And I slowly lowered the Popsicle from my mouth and let the lesson sink in.

The very important lesson of chivalry.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


© 2010 The Arrow’s Tip 
 To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: