Monday, August 23, 2010

The Silver Bullet of Lawn Care - Apples of Gold - August 23, 2010 -vi-

Click here to listen to the radio version.   

Click here to search the AOG archives.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for August 23, 2010

“The Silver Bullet of Lawn Care”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

I am no landscaper.

I graduated college without a single botany class, and I’m just not terribly interested in plants, though I thank God for them.

So one day I moved my family into a rental house that was formerly occupied by plant people.  The woman told me all the things they had done – planted this here, transplanted that there, on and on. 

Well, I was not a worthy heir of their plant kingdom, and I felt bad about it.  I felt bad for the landlord whose property value was about to drop.

So when he came by one day I simply confessed that I was flora challenged and asked him if there was anything specific he wanted me to do besides keep everything trimmed, and here’s what he said.  He said that all he really wanted me to do was this simple act.

Pull the weeds.

I told him that was easy enough, and that’s what I did.  When I saw anything besides grass pop up in the lawn, I pulled it out by the roots.

Now that may sound routine, but guess what?  I had never done it before.

My lawn care arsenal consisted of a power mower and that was it.  As long as everything was mowed, I was good.

But I admit, my lawns didn’t look that great.  Yes, from the road they were green, but a closer inspection revealed all kinds of yucky looking nongrasslike vegetation.

But now I had the silver bullet of lawn care!  Just pull the weeds.

This also applies to our spiritual life.  For example, Colossians 3:8 tells us to rid ourselves of anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy and filthy language.  That’s a list of spiritual weeds we are to yank from our lives.

First Peter
2:12 says to rid ourselves of all malice and all deceit, of hypocrisy and envy and slander, evil speaking of every kind; again, a laundry list of spiritual weeds.

Ephesians 4:31 says to get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander and every form of malice.

These are weeds in our lives that must be pulled out by the roots.

So what happens if we don’t pull the weeds from our life?

Well remember this:  weeds are competition. 

In your yard or garden, there is a competition for space and light and water and soil nutrients.  The more the weeds get, the less there is for the good plants.

And the same is true in life.  We only have so much time and energy.  We can’t waste it on weeds like wrath and malice, deceit and hypocrisy.

So we need to pull the weeds because weeds are competition.

Something else – weeds are not stationary.  They aren’t like rocks.  If you leave the weeds, they will grow and reproduce. 

One gardening rule of thumb is:  Don’t let weeds go to seed. 

Another old saying is:  One year’s seeding means seven years’ weeding.

If you pull the weeds now, you will spare yourself a ton of work later.  But if you leave them, they will grow and reproduce, both in your life and in the lives of those around you.  One day you will look up and see weeds everywhere that you are responsible for.

So don’t let weeds go to seed.  Start pulling them up today.

Another interesting point about weeds is that they can shelter harmful insects and diseases.  They can harbor and spread plant pathogens that infect and degrade the quality of the good plants.

The same is true for our spiritual weeds.  For example, if you don’t root out the weed of hypocrisy, it will infect and degrade your good spiritual qualities. 

One reason people don’t like weeds is that they are unattractive.  They are a nuisance.  Some have thorns or prickles, they poke you or cling to your clothes.  Some have chemicals that cause skin irritation.  Weeds can be downright nasty – all good reasons to get rid of them.

So what is the first step? 

Look for them.  Simply take time to look for weeds. 

It’s true in your yard, and it’s true in your life.

Often we don’t take any time to look for the weeds in our heart and soul. 

So here is your reminder to do that.  Take some time to be quiet before the Lord.  Open your Bible and contemplate these lists of “weeds.”  Then look for them.

And when you find them, don’t leave them.

Instead, make a determined and consistent effort, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to rid yourself of these ugly, annoying weeds.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.



© 2010 The Arrow’s Tip 
 To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000
-vi-

No comments: