Friday, January 21, 2011

Let's Talk About Your Zodiac Tattoo - Apples of Gold - January 21, 2011 -vi-

Click here to listen to the radio version.   

Click here to search the AOG archives.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for January 21, 2011

“Let’s Talk About Your Zodiac Tattoo”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

So, let’s talk about your zodiac tattoo, that thing you had permanently inked on your body.

What will you do now that astronomers are saying the signs have changed?

Apparently your zodiac sign is based on where the stars were when you were born.  All my life there has been this little calendar, and according to it, I’m a Leo.

Now astronomers are saying there has been a cosmic shift over time, and long story short, I’m something else now.

That was the big news last week, until the astrologers, with an L, said, “Wait a minute.  That’s not true.  Don’t worry.  Your sign didn’t change.  It’s not really about the literal constellation you were born under after all.”

Now some of you are thinking, “Why are you even bringing this up.  The whole astrology/horoscope thing is ignorant.” 

I bring it up because some people are very serious about it, and lots of people pay attention to it.  According to a recent Pew survey, 25% of Americans believe in it.*  They may not put their full faith in the horoscope, but they read it and consider it, and sometimes they let it guide their actions. 

The horoscope influences people, and believe it or not, in our enlightened age, it is still printed in reputable newspapers around the country, and a Google search of the word “horoscope” returns over 25 million hits, more than both Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan.

I think it’s all hogwash, of course, but what if I didn’t?  What if I followed it?  What if, for the last 40 years, I got up everyday and read my Leo horoscope?  What if certain decisions in my life were influenced by being a Leo, and now, come to find out, I’m a Cancer.

What am I going to do with this massive Leo tattoo on my back?

“Nothing,” the astrologers say, “Just leave it.  We’re not changing anything.”

But what does that do to even the flimsiest argument that the constellation you were born under has some kind of influence over your life?

Of course the real answer is that, in reality, it has nothing to do with anything.  The horoscope is a big nothing, as far as providing divine guidance for your life, yet there it is in the paper everyday.

I notice there’s not a daily Bible verse in the paper.  How about a Proverb-of-the-Day to give people guidance?  “Nope.  We can’t be promoting religion.”  “Oh, I see.”

Here’s the thing.  People are looking for guidance.  They are looking for signs, for leadership, for direction.  When people come to a fork in the road and they don’t know what to do, they will look almost anywhere for help. 

If a person is thinking about leaving their spouse and running off with their lover, and their horoscope says, “Today is the day to take action and make yourself happy,” well by golly that’s their sign!

Listen.  It may sound like harmless fun for most people, and you may find it on the comics page, but listen; anything that offers some kind of divine guidance apart from God and His word is leading you astray.  If you turn to the horoscope instead of the Word of God, you are building your life on a foundation of nothing.

Isaiah 47 brings up astrologers, “those stargazers who make predictions month by month.”  Listen to what God compares them to – a fire without heat.

So what’s a good alternative?  Jeremiah 23:29 says the word of the Lord is like fire.  While the horoscope is a flicker with no heat or power, the word of God has real substance, real heat, real power.

God’s word provides true guidance we can build our lives on.  Listen to what Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount, “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.”

If I built my life on my Leo horoscope, I would be unnerved to find that I was actually a Cancer, or that there was no precise connection to the stars at all.

But instead, I have built my life on the Lord and His word, an unchanging foundation of truth that will endure to the very end.

Jesus said it in Matthew 24:35.

“Heaven and earth will pass away, by My words will by no means pass away.”


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0113/New-zodiac-signs-2011-Why-astrology-is-even-sillier-than-we-thought

© 2010 The Arrow’s Tip 
 To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one: 
douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000
-vi-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, i to appreciate about this blog........:)
zodiac pisces tattoo