Monday, March 25, 2024

Food Glorious Food

(Click to listen)

I’m Doug Apple...and my heart is on fire.  (Luke 24:32)

I was talking to an evolutionist, the kind that believes that everything evolved from nothing after a big bang.

I said, “Just look at food, for example.  You think it just evolved on this big rock hurtling through space after a big bang?”

“Well, it took billions of years,” he said.

“Always with the billions of years,” I said.  “Incredible complexity rising from simplicity after starting with nothing, just given enough zeros on the calendar.”

I said, “Look at this banana.”

“I’m looking,” he said.

“Look at this astounding bright yellow color.  It’s magnificent!  It’s beautiful to the eyes!  I’m so glad it evolved into something beautiful.”

But wait. There’s more!

When you pick up a banana, it’s smooth to the touch.

When you peel a banana, it’s ready to eat!  No special preparations needed.

And when you eat a banana, it tastes good!  You’re saying that by some miracle of evolution a banana evolved so that when we eat it, it tastes good?

Okay, not everyone likes bananas, but get this.  Bananas are the biggest selling item at Walmart.  Let that sink in.  

So they taste good, but here’s where it really gets deep.  Bananas are good for you!  I’ve read that bananas have actually helped keep much of the world alive.

To say something is “good for you” sounds trite, but look at what it takes for something to be good for you.  It takes a miracle!

You can eat this thing, your body receives it gladly, it goes into your stomach, your stomach perfectly knows how to handle it, and your body turns it into all the vital things that bananas provide for us.

So you would have to say that the human body evolved perfectly to have eyes to see an attractive banana, have hands to get that banana, have taste buds to enjoy that banana, a stomach to digest that banana, and then at the micro level all the things the body does after that at an increasingly smaller level to keep us alive and well.

And that’s just the banana.  We could talk about apples and oranges (by the way, Americans eat more bananas than apples and oranges combined, just sayin’).  We could talk about potatoes and peanuts and on and on and on.  We live in a world exploding with food glorious food!  If you don’t like this or that, there’s plenty more!

All this bounty and no one to thank…except the processes of evolution times billions of years.

I don’t think so.  I want to give credit where credit is due.  I thank our Creator God for His abundant creation, so astounding in every little detail: food that looks good and tastes good and is good for us.  And our bodies that know what to do with it.

So yes, I bow my head to pray before a meal.  I do it at home, and I do it in public.  I’m just so thankful, and so impressed and amazed at how it all works together, and God did it!  Isn’t He wonderful?

He gave us food glorious food!

Thank You, Heavenly Father, for Your wonderful work in creating food for us to enjoy.

Amen.

May God bless you today.

I’m Doug Apple.


No comments: