Friday, August 17, 2007

You Can't See Everything

You can’t see everything.

I remember as a young child the first time that truth really hit me.  I have no idea how old I was, or who told me, but one day I got it….the fact that air is something

I remember learning in science class about diffusion, how a bad odor, for example, will spread out among air particles.  It can fill a room, but then it will “go away” as it diffuses…and you can’t really see any of this process.

I remember learning about how sugar dissolves into your tea.  Where does it go?  You can’t see the sugar anymore.  But you know it’s there because you can taste it.

Of course as we get older and learn more, it takes more to fascinate us. 

I remember seeing a documentary on television, and it said that snakes see things we don’t see…something about them actually “seeing” heat, such as a mouse that is completely hidden in the shadows.  It showed the mouse through human eyes, and you couldn’t see it at all.  Then it showed supposedly what the snake was seeing, and there it was, not hidden at all!  I was amazed! 

The first time I heard of night vision goggles, I was in awe.  The felt the same the first time I heard about X-rays, and CAT scans and MRI’s. 

I remember as a child watching a man use a metal detector.  It would beep, and he would dig a quarter out of the ground!  “Wow, get me one of those miracle machines!”

As a kid I had two little horsies with magnets on the bottom, a black horse and a white horse.  When you moved them close together, they would miraculously begin to rock, even though no one was touching them!

I remember one story in the Bible that really made me see the world in a different way.

Second Kings 6 talks about Elisha and his servant.  One morning the servant went out early and discovered that the city was surrounded by an enemy army.  He ran back to Elisha. 

Elisha said, “Don’t be afraid.  We have more on our side than they do.”  Then Elisha prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes to see.” 

Suddenly God opened that servant’s eyes to see what normal eyes can’t see.  Like an X-ray can see your bones, like a snake can see a mouse, all of a sudden the servant could see beyond the physical realm, into the spiritual realm.  And what did he see? – “the hills full of horses and chariots of fire…”

Think about that.  Is it true?  If you believe the Bible, then it must be true.  And if you don’t believe the Bible, there is still something within you, a sixth sense that tells you that there is more to this existence than our physical senses reveal to us.

Have you ever read “This Present Darkness” by Frank Peretti?  It’s a novel, but it will open your eyes to the possibilities of what might be happening all around in the spiritual world.

In the spiritual realm, there are dangers.  There are battles.  There are warriors fighting for us and against us.  The Bible tells us so.  Yet we spend our days myopically focused only on what we can see, and we think we are in control.  We are about as in control as that mouse hiding in the shadows. 

Stop and ponder this thought for a while:  “You can’t see everything.”

(As heard on Wave 94.1 FM)

dougapple@wave94.com

www.wave94.com

No comments: