Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Don't Wreck a Relationship Over Stuff - Apples of Gold - May 6, 2008 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for May 6, 2008

“Don’t Wreck a Relationship Over Stuff”


Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Here is something that always makes me sick.

When I hear about relatives fighting over stuff.

It happens when someone dies.  This is the big chance.  Free stuff.  It’s going to be passed out like candy.  Eyes light up at the thought of it.  “What am I going to get?”  It’s Christmas morning, and Santa’s giving away everything.

I know, it’s only human, but people start thinking about what they are going to get.  They think about what they want, and even what they deserve. 

Now listen, to think like this is to manufacture gun powder in your brain.  Every thought you have about that stuff is another ounce of gunpowder.  You think and think, and the gunpowder piles up. 

Then comes the distribution.  This is the lighting of the match.  And unless the distribution goes exactly as everyone wanted, the match falls and the gunpowder goes off. 

If you spent a lot of time thinking about that stuff, you have piled up the gunpowder and you are going to explode.  And the casualties will be family relationships.

But if you spent no time thinking about the stuff, it won’t matter how it’s passed out.  You will be fine with it, and there will be no damage to the family.

“But Doug, I have needs.”

Yes, and the Lord said He would provide for you.  Trust in Him, not in somebody’s will.

“But Doug, there were some things I really wanted, not for the money but for the sentimental value.”

Sentimental value means it gives you good memories about the person.  Please don’t tell me your sentiments are so flimsy that they can be upset because someone else got the trinket.  You don’t need the trinket to enjoy the good memories.

“But Doug, I don’t care about any of the stuff.  It just bugs me that it wasn’t fair.”

You know what?  Let it go.  Don’t think another thought about it.  Remember, every thought like that is an ounce of gunpowder.  And the more you think about it, the bigger the explosion will be someday.

So you were shorted.  Let’s say you were totally cheated.  Robbed.  The biggest rip-off ever. 

Let it go.  No good comes from dwelling on it.

Here is what I think.  I think it all comes down to greed.  We can say it’s the fairness, or the sentimentality.  But it really boils down to what I want.  If I don’t get what I want, I will be upset and people are going to know about it.

That’s the opposite of how a Christian should be.

As Christians we are called to, first of all, love the Lord, and second of all, to love people.  And that includes the people we are mad at about the stuff.  We are to love them, but how can we love them with this division?

We have to take our eyes off the stuff and put our eyes on the Lord.  Then all of our thoughts about the people should be filtered through the love of God. 

When we do this, God’s peace will fill our hearts.  There will be no gunpowder, and no explosions.  There will only be peace and love. 

Now what if you got the stuff that someone else wanted?  You really want to stretch your faith?  You want to do something that will blow everyone’s mind?

Then give it to them.  Just give it to them.

“But Doug, then I won’t have it.”

Yes.  But you know what?  You aren’t going to have it for long anyway.  So what’s worth more, that little bag of earthly treasure, or the brilliance of doing something wonderful and extraordinary in the name of the Lord?

“But Doug, I need this.”

At what cost?  The cost of a wrecked relationship? 

I like what it says in First Corinthians 6:7, “Why not rather be wronged?   Why not rather be cheated?”

So you end up with less.  I’m reminded of the old Gospel song, “I’ve got the Lord, and that’s enough, that’s enough, that’s enough.”

And that’s what it comes down to.  Is God enough for you?  Can He make up for whatever you sacrifice for someone else?

Of course He can.  Like it says in Ephesians 3:20, He is the one who “is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think…”

That is the Lord Almighty. 

So focus on Him.  Ask Him to fill you with His Spirit and drain away any animosity towards the others. 

You will be trading in a life of anxiety and broken relationships for a life of peace and the chance to really love people like God wants us to.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.

 
© 2008 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: