Friday, January 02, 2009

What Is Your Brain Buzzing About? - Apples of Gold - January 2, 2009 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for January 2, 2009

“What Is Your Brain Buzzing About?”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

From the time you get up your brain is buzzing about something.

Sometimes you can’t sleep because your brain is buzzing.

I say buzzing because, like bees buzz willy-nilly around a hive, our brains buzz all around a subject.

It would be interesting to jot it down, then go back and look at it at the end of the year.  “What my brain was buzzing about today.”

I don’t know if this happens to you, but almost everyday when I wake up there is a song on my mind.  I don’t know why that is.  I’m not a musician.  I don’t sleep with music on.  But for most of my life this has been true.  I wake up with a song in my head.

That means right out of the gate my brain is buzzing about something…a song. 

But now listen to this.  It matters what song it is.  That song influences my thinking, my mood, my day. 

And it could be any song I’ve ever heard.  I know this is weird, but it’s true.  It could be a good song or a bad song; a song that’s good for me, or a song that just isn’t good for me to even think about.

But you know what?  I learned a long time ago not to leave this to chance.  Many years ago I started setting my radio alarm clock to a Christian station.  That way when I wake up the first song to make an impression on my mind is a good song.

Nowadays I use my cell phone as my alarm clock, and, for example, right now my alarm is set to play “Revelation Song” by Gateway Worship. 

And it always works.  That first song I hear leaves an impression on my mind.  And I love starting my day with the opening strains of “Revelation Song” which says, “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, holy holy is He.”

So everyday my brain starts buzzing immediately on the holy, worthy Lamb of God.  I love it.

And it’s not just the mornings.  Music will get your brain buzzing anytime.  The question is, what does it get your brain buzzing about? 

Now here’s the thing.  You can control it.  You control it by choosing wisely what music you let enter your brain in the first place. 

And of course this applies to much more than music.  Right now I am memorizing the book of Ephesians.  I add one verse each weekday.  Then I constantly rehearse them in my mind, stringing them all together, and meditating on them.

It’s like an in-depth Bible study constantly buzzing in my brain.  In the mornings when I’m getting ready, what’s running through my head is the book of Ephesians. 

Let me tell you, it radically changes your day when you meditate on the Word of God.  It reminds me of Psalm 1:2 which talks about the blessed man who meditates on God’s words “day and night.”

See, your brain is always buzzing about something.  Why not start memorizing the Word so that it’s buzzing about the things of God.

2009 begins Year Three of my Daniel Fast.  That leads to a certain buzzing every day in my brain.  It’s a buzz that I am denying myself to follow Jesus.  I want to be an offering, a living sacrifice for Him.  Denying myself certain foods keeps those thoughts buzzing in my brain all the time.  Every time I eat, every time I think of eating, my brain buzzes thoughts like, “Lord, I love You.  Lord, I want to serve You.  Lord, I need You.  I need You desperately.  I can do nothing without You.  Lord, I want to bear good fruit.  Lord, I am denying myself in order to take up my cross and follow You.”

There’s nothing like a fast to get your brain buzzing!

We are still doing the
8:08 prayer time at our house.  Each night at 8:08 my cell phone alarm goes off and we stop whatever we are doing, gather whoever is in the house together and we pray.  When this happens, it doesn’t matter what your brain was buzzing about beforehand.  It suddenly changes.  All the buzzing turns toward God and the real needs of people that we bring to Him in prayer.

A regular prayer time will really affect the buzzing in your brain.

Are you a news junkie?  Do you have a news channel IV stuck in your veins?  Stop and think about what that causes to buzz in your brain.  Crime and controversy.  Politics and “pop tarts.”  Oh it gets your brain buzzing alright. 

Or maybe it’s sports, sports, sports.  Is your brain buzzing on sports all day?  Oh, there’s enough sports to do it.  And if real sports aren’t enough, now we have fantasy sports you can buzz about.

Or maybe it’s movies.  Do you find yourself quoting movie lines?  What you quote is obviously what your brain is buzzing on.

Now here’s the point.  Our brains are always buzzing, thinking about some topic.  And often we don’t even try to control what we’re buzzing about.  We just let whatever come into our brain and buzz around for a while.

This year let’s be more proactive.  Let’s control the buzz. 

Let’s set ourselves up for a blessed year like the man in Psalm 1, and he did it by simply letting his brain buzz about the things of God all day long.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.
 
 
© 2008 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: