Monday, January 11, 2010

So You Just Can't Get Into Reading the Bible - Apples of Gold - January 11, 2010 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.   

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for January 11, 2010

“So You Just Can’t Get Into Reading the Bible”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

“Everybody says, ‘Read the Bible.  You’ve got to read the Bible.’”

“Well I read it, but I don’t understand it.  I don’t even know what I’m reading half the time.”

I hear this a lot, and I just heard it from someone over the weekend.

Some say, “I’m just not good at reading.”  Others say, “I can read, but I don’t get much out of it.”

And then we throw the Bible at them. 

So what about these people?  Are they relegated to being second class Christians?  Are they doomed to get all their Bible information second hand?

I don’t think so, and I have a plan for those people.  If you want to read the Bible but just can’t get into it, here is a plan for you.

First of all, you need to know that when you become a Christian, the Holy Spirit takes up residence inside you. 

Second Timothy 1:14 says the Holy Spirit “lives in us.”

Ephesians 3:16 talks about His Spirit in our “inner being.”

So the Spirit of God lives inside you, and Jesus said in John 16:13 that the Spirit “will guide you into all truth.”

In verse 15 Jesus said, “…the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.”

So what does that mean?  Well it means you can study the Bible and learn from it because the Holy Spirit inside you will guide you!

Okay, so I said I had a plan for you, and I do.  But it’s built on that foundation, that when you pick up the Bible to read it, the Holy Spirit is going to do something.

Now, when you pick up your Bible, start in the New Testament.  The Old Testament has a lot of good stuff, but you have to know the context, so it’s better to start in the New Testament.  And if you don’t have a better idea, I say start at the beginning, in the book of Matthew.

Before you begin, take time to pray.  Talk to God and surrender your study time to Him.  It’s sort of like coming respectfully into the presence of the Teacher.

Then it’s time to open up and start reading.  And now here is something that bogs people down.  They start reading and it starts to get foggy and soon they are just lost.  They don’t get it, they lose interest and they finally quit.

So, as a new student of the Bible, don’t worry about understanding every single thing you read.  And don’t worry about gulping down giant portions of scripture. 

Just start reading, and here’s what I want you to look for.  I want you to look for what I call “a bell ringer.” 

You can start with a prayer like this, “Lord, I’m going to read Your Word, and I’m going to read until I hit a ‘bell ringer,’ that particular truth that You want to leap out to me today.”

I have done this many times, and here is what will happen.  I will read a few verses, and it may run into a few chapters, but then all of a sudden a particular verse or phrase will leap out at me.  It’s like the clouds part and the sun shines on that one truth. 

It’s when you stop and say, “Mmmm, that’s good!”  And you read it again.  And again.

That, my friend, is the bell ringer!

I believe that is the Holy Spirit guiding you into all truth.  He is “lighting up” one thing for you, something for you to learn and to apply to your life.

Now you can stop reading.  It doesn’t matter if you’ve only read one verse, when the light comes on, you can stop. 

Write it down.  Put it on a card.  Tuck it in your pocket.  Stick it on your mirror.  Make copies and put it up everywhere.  Make it your Facebook status.  Meditate on it.  Memorize it.  Think about how you should apply it.

And then you can find out what others think of that verse.  Ask your pastor or a Bible teacher.  Read some commentaries.  These can help keep you from misunderstanding or taking a verse out of context. 

But this is the truth of God from scripture.  It’s food for the soul. 

See how that works?  You don’t have to understand everything you read.  And you don’t have to read page after page after page.  You just read until you hit that one thing, something I believe the Holy Spirit will guide you to.

I’m not saying this is a complete and comprehensive Bible study plan, but it’s a start.  It’s a way to get into the Bible when you just can’t get into it.

Hebrews 11:6 says that God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

With this plan, you are doing that.  You are diligently seeking Him through the study of His Word.

So do you want to read the Bible, but you just can’t get into it?

Then here is a plan for you.  Pray, then start reading until you come across that bell ringer.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


© 2010 The Arrow’s Tip 
 To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: