Friday, February 05, 2010

Whatever You Do, You Are an Example - Apples of Gold - February 5, 2010 -vi-

Click here to listen to the radio version.   

Click here to search the AOG archives.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for February 5, 2010

“Whatever You Do, You Are an Example”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

I was in a huge rush after church.

Back then I was the marketing director for a bank, and the bank had a float in a parade.  I produced the bank’s newsletter, and I wanted a photo of the float for the next edition.  I told them I would take the pictures myself, so I was committed.

But now I was running late.  I couldn’t bear the thought of telling them I didn’t get the pictures, so all I could do was drive as fast as I could.

Of course parades mean free candy, so my young son and his little friend wanted to go.  They were busy goofing off in the back seat while I was hitting the gas in the front.

All of a sudden my son’s friend shouted from the back seat, “Wow, your dad’s going 70 miles an hour!”

“Oh,”  I said, shocked.  And I immediately slowed down.

But at that rate I was going to be late, so when the boys were sufficiently preoccupied I applied a little more pressure to the gas pedal.

And wouldn’t you know it, the same little voice piped up, “Wow, look how fast your dad’s going!”

Oh my goodness, what is this kid, the town crier? 

Well it all boiled down to this.  Yes, I wanted to get to the parade on time, but more importantly I wanted to set a good, law-abiding example for the boys.  So I backed off the speed and kept it there.  And I made it to the parade on time anyway; photos were taken, candy was collected, and everyone was happy.

Now do you see my motivation?  Do you see what my decision finally hinged on?  It was my awareness that at that moment I was setting an example. 

And you know what?  We are always setting an example.

Back in the 90’s, Charles Barkley was one of the top players in the NBA.  He was a bit of a trouble maker, and people put pressure on him to clean up his act.  They told him his behavior was influencing young people. 

He reacted strongly against that pressure and famously declared, “I am not a role model.”

Well the truth of the matter is, we are all role models.  We all set an example for everyone else.

It is important that we keep that in mind, and that we think about the big picture.

For example, I know it is important how I treat my wife because it sets an example for every other husband out there.  And it really doesn’t matter if I treat her well or treat her poorly, I’m still setting an example.

At work, my work ethic sets an example.  Do I work hard or goof off? 

I told my daughter the other day, “There are two important things to keep in mind.  First, you need to work hard.  And second, you need to look like you’re working hard.”

Who cares how it looks as long as you are working hard? 

Well let’s say you come in at midnight and work for five hours, but no one knows it.  Then each afternoon you just sit at your desk for five hours and smoke cigarettes.  Yes, you might be getting the same amount of work done, but the example you are setting is terrible. 

So setting a good example means you do the right thing, and people see you do the right thing.

Yes, there’s a fine line between letting people see your good example and being proud or showing off, but it’s not hard to tell the difference.

The Apostle Paul wasn’t shy about letting people see his example.  In First Corinthians 11:1 he flat out declared, “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.”

“But Doug, I don’t want the pressure.  I’ll never tell people to follow my example.”

Well the pressure is there already, and someone is going to follow your example whether you want them to or not.  So be aware of it and crank up your example.  And like Paul said, you can set a good example by following the example of Christ.

First Thessalonians 1:7 includes this little phrase, “…you became examples to all…”

First Peter 5:3 tells the church elders to be “examples to the flock.”

Titus 2:7 says, “In everything set them an example by doing what is good.”

And I especially like the King James Version of First Timothy 4:12, “…be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”

God wants us to be good examples to everyone around us.  What we do, what we say, even how we react . . . it matters.  It affects people.  People learn how to behave in certain situations by observing how other people behave in those situations.

So add this to your decision-making arsenal. 

When the kid pipes up in the back seat, when you’re put on the spot and you have to make a decision, one thing to keep in mind is that, whatever you do, you are an example.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


© 2010 The Arrow’s Tip 
 To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: