Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Yes James 1:5, but in the Meantime Proverbs 4:5

(click to listen)

I’m Doug Apple...and my heart is on fire.  (Luke 24:32)

You can’t just sit on your rear end and do nothing.

“But Doug, James 1:5 says, ‘If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.’”

Yes it does.  I’m a huge fan of James 1:5, and I’m asking God for wisdom daily.  

But I’m also a big fan of Proverbs 4:5.  Do you know what that one says?

It says, “Get wisdom!”  In some translations that comes with an exclamation point.  Get it!

So yes, James 1:5, but in the meantime Proverbs 4:5.  In other words, yes, ASK for wisdom.  Then don’t just sit there.  Rise up and go get wisdom!

Proverbs 4:7 says, “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom.”

One way to get wisdom is to find someone who already has some and ask them to share it with you.

Of course, reading the Bible is going to give you a lifetime of wisdom.  Psalm 19:7 tells us that the Word of God can make even foolish people wise.

Daily I’m asking God for wisdom in every area of life, but then I don’t just sit back and wait for wisdom to come slap me upside the face.  I take Proverbs 4:5 seriously when it says to “get wisdom.”

So yes, James 1:5.  James 1:5 all day long!  But in the meantime, Proverbs 4:5…rise up, take the initiative, and go get it!

May God bless you today.

I’m Doug Apple.


No comments: