Thursday, May 31, 2007

Fine Wine and...Spirits


Radio Script for May 31, 2007


Fine Wine and…Spirits”

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Every day I drive by the same sign.

It says, “Fine Wine and Spirits.”

And I think, “You got that right.”

Now let’s go back to when my kids were little. I always read to them at bedtime, often from the Bible. I tried to pick the Bible stories carefully, making sure they were good for little ears.

It was at that time that I realized how often Jesus dealt with demons. I mean, there I was, trying to read a nice little Bible story about Jesus to my babies, and it seemed like every few paragraphs another demon popped up.

I know it’s in the Bible, but I really didn’t want to read stories about demons to my kids at bedtime.

Demons are the kind of thing we’d rather not talk about, period. But when you go through Matthew, Mark, Luke and John you constantly run into evil spirits.

And where were these evil spirits? They were inside people.

I’m not sure how it works, since demons are spirits. An x-ray or CAT scan won’t reveal an evil spirit inside someone.

That leads many people to disbelieve. Until they see a demon, they won’t believe, but that’s another matter. My remarks today are for those who believe the Bible. And if you believe the Bible, well, there they are…evil spirits.

Is there any reason to believe that evil spirits are no longer around? No. I find in the Bible no indication that evil spirits have changed since the time of Christ. So I have to conclude that evil spirits live inside people today, just like they did back then.

To me, one of the most poignant teachings on this topic is found in Matthew chapter 12. Jesus said that when an evil spirit comes out of a man, it starts looking for a place to go. And now listen to this, it doesn’t go alone. Jesus said it finds other spirits that are even more wicked than itself. These evil spirits are looking for a place to live. They are looking for a person to inhabit.

I know I just lost some of you. This is way over the top. I agree. But it’s right here in the Bible. The same Jesus who talks about eternal life and forgiveness and feed the poor and love your neighbor, it’s this same Jesus who teaches about the reality of evil spirits.

I have to believe that there are evil spirits in this world, and they are seeking people to inhabit.

So where do they go? Again, I don’t really understand how it works, but Jesus does. In Matthew 12:43 He said, “When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it.” So apparently a demon can’t just land anywhere.

The way I imagine it is that evil spirits are looking for easy targets.

Have you ever seen those nature films with big cats chasing a herd? They don’t need to catch the whole herd. They only need to catch a few weak ones.

I imagine demons looking for the weak ones; people whose guard is down, people who are open to suggestion.

So let’s say there are evil spirits in Tallahassee, and they are looking for a new home, a new person to inhabit. Where will they go?

I think they will hang out any place where people are taking alcohol or drugs. These substances lower your resistance. They make you weak. You are more open to suggestion.

“Doug, are you saying that people who drink and do drugs are opening themselves to demon possession?”

That is exactly what I’m saying. Anyone who is drunk or high will fall behind the pack, making themselves easy prey.

If you drive by a crack house or a dive bar, it’s not hard to imagine it as a haunt of demons. But you know what? I think evil spirits also hang around our city’s nice looking liquor stores. I mean think about it. A demon can just follow the guy home. Soon enough his guard will be down, making him an easy target.

When teaching about evil spirits, Jesus offered this parable: “How can anyone enter a strong man’s house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can rob his house.”*

How better to tie someone up than with alcohol or drugs?

And think about this. Why is it that sin and evil so naturally follow alcohol and drug use? I think one reason is that evil spirits jump on the opportunity.

I am no “demonologist,” but it comes up so often in the Bible, we need to take it more seriously.

There is much more to be said on this topic, but I’m out of time. I just hope you’ll think twice the next time you drive by a sign that says, “Fine Wine and…Spirits.”


Comments?

E-mail me: dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today! With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.

* Matthew 12:29
A random thought: Are demons stronger than people? If not, why do we need God to drive them out?
Jesus said in Matthew 12:28 that he drove out demons “by the Spirit of God.”
Jesus taught about demons who found a “house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order.” I see that as a “good” person, but a person without the Spirit of God dwelling inside. Their “house” may be orderly, but it is empty – apparently a good home for evil spirits.

No comments: