Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Pray For Your Children's Future Spouse

“Pray for your children’s future spouse.” 

That’s what her e-mail said.  Her long e-mail, about the trials of a grandmother who was being rejected by her son and his wife. 

This lady was a friend of mine, and I knew her son.  I watched him grow up.  Everything seemed normal enough.  He got married, and then, for some reason, they didn’t want to have anything to do with his family.  Still don’t, and no one seems to know why. 

She said, “You know, I had never really thought much about the importance of who your children marry.  I just assumed they would get married and I would have little grandchildren around to spoil.  But now I never see my son’s children.  I wish I would have done this when they were growing up, but now I’m telling you…pray for your children’s future spouse.”

I told her that I have been, even since my kids were born.  For me it goes back to a song by Wayne Watson, where he was praying for his son’s future bride.  The lyrics go something like this:

“And I don’t even know her name, but I’m praying for her just the same.”

And then the end of the chorus says, “ ‘Cause somewhere in the course of this life, my little boy’s gonna need a godly wife.  So hold onto Jesus, baby, where ever you are.”

This weekend I read “Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley.  It describes a future civilization where children are brainwashed into thinking unfaithfulness is normal.  They are never taught about a faithful marriage partnership.  Then one day an outsider enters their futuristic world, and they call him a savage.  Well, the savage believes that one man and one woman should be married, and “until death do they part.”  He falls in love with one of the futuristic women, and then is shattered when he discovers her unfaithfulness. 

But how could it have been any different?  They were raised in two different worlds. 

Now think about your children, and the importance of who they marry.  This decision is more important than their education or their career.  What are you doing to prepare them for this decision? 

I had a women tell me one time about her younger, dating years.  She said that one young man asked her out, but then asked her a strange question.  He asked if her parents were divorced.  He said that he didn’t even want to begin dating anyone whose parents were divorced because he didn’t want to marry someone who thought that divorce might be an option.

What kind of family will your children marry into?  It will affect your grandchildren and great-grandchildren for generations to come. 

One thing is for certain.  We can take the advice of my friend who offered this personal admonition:

“Pray for your children’s future spouse.”

(As heard on Wave 94.1 FM)

dougapple@wave94.com

www.wave94.com

 

 

No comments: