Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Will Not Defile Myself - Apples of Gold - March 27, 2008 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for March 27, 2008

“I Will Not Defile Myself”


Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Everything I knew about beer I learned from commercials.

And how many of you know, beer commercials don’t really tell the tale.

Imagine if beer commercials were like all these pharmaceutical ads, where they list all the possible side effects.  “May cause lethargy, memory loss, profound confusion, impaired coordination, dehydration, blurred vision, vertigo, vomiting, stupor, blackouts, coma and death.  Many who use this product have lost their jobs, their homes, their families, their reputation, their money, their dignity and the use of certain limbs.  Millions have become addicted to this product, but fortunately there are thousands of groups to help you out when it happens.  And now back to our commercial showing beautiful people having fun.”

Now I’m going to make an outrageous statement.  When I was growing up, those beer commercials defiled me.

Uh-oh.  I see part of my crowd getting up and leaving.  I see “unsubscribes” coming in from all over the country.

“Doug, isn’t that a bit of an overstatement?”

Look, I’m just telling you the way it was.  As a kid, I watched tons of ballgames on TV, and they were loaded with beer commercials showing what a blast everyone was having.  It’s a sales trick, but it’s effective.  When a message soaks into your brain thousands of times, it affects you, whether it’s true or not.

This week I was asked to be part of the National Day of Prayer program at the capitol.  My prayer subject?  The media.

So I’ve been thinking a lot about the media this week.  I’m talking about all “mass” forms of communication, including radio and television, books, newspapers and magazines, even movies and the internet. 

Now follow my thinking.  Most of the media is in the business to make money.  To make money, you have to draw a crowd.  And what is the easiest way to draw a crowd?  To appeal to our sensuous, carnal nature.  So this is what the media often resorts to.

The broadcast networks want the FCC to relax the rules so they can be even more carnal.  They say they can’t keep up with the cable and satellite companies.  Why not?  One reason.  Cable and satellite TV don’t have any moral limits on their content.  So the broadcasters say the only way they can draw a larger crowd is to be even more carnal.

Now listen.  This becomes a cycle, because what the media produces to draw a crowd, it then perpetuates.  That’s why it’s called “mass media.”  Its message goes to the masses. 

So it draws the masses by being carnal, then it perpetuates carnality among the masses.  Then the carnal masses demand even more carnality, and if it wants to keep the crowd and stay in business, the mass media must deliver even more carnal content.

And now with the absolute free flow of the most carnal material on the internet – where is it all headed?  And how am I supposed to pray something meaningful for the media on the National Day of Prayer?  What can I pray that God will respond to?

From a moral perspective, it can look bleak.  But that is not the whole story.  There are still people making a stand and saying, “I will not defile myself with carnal media.” 

Last night my son told me about some friends of his.  One married couple has stopped watching television.  He told me of a young man who once had a huge collection of DVD’s.  Then he got rid of all the R-rated movies.  Then he got rid of the movies with the most carnal scenes.  Then he finally just got rid of all the movies.  It’s his way of saying, “I will not defile myself.”

This is radical in our culture today, but carnal times call for radical measures.

I’m reminded of the story of Daniel when he was taken to Babylon.  Daniel 1:8 says, “…Daniel resolved not to defile himself…”

Yes, it meant Daniel had to go against the flow.  It was a risk, but God rewarded him.  Eventually the king of Babylon found Daniel to be “ten times better” than his kingdom full of carnal wise men.

So today, ask yourself this question, “What defiles me?”  Or make it a prayer, “Lord, what defiles me?”  Then start with the top of the list and boot it out of your life.

I recently heard the story of a man who put a bullet through his computer.  That’s a bit over the top, but you know what?  If that’s what it takes…

“Doug, why do you bring this all up now?  Don’t you know it’s March Madness?”

Well, here’s an idea.  Watch the games, but not the commercials.  Yes, I know the commercials can be funny and entertaining.  Of course they are!  They are spending tons of money to reach us.  And if that means defiling us or appealing to our carnal nature, so what? 

But I say, join the minority who are standing up like Daniel of old and saying, “I will not defile myself.”

So stop now and do it.  Just ask, “Lord, what defiles me?”  And when He brings something to the top of the list – get rid of it.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.
 

 
© 2008 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: