Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Experiment With Self Denial - Apples of Gold - February 25, 2009 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.

 

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for February 25, 2009

“Experiment With Self Denial”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Today I want to ask you to do something.

I want you to experiment with self denial.

See, usually we are more about self indulgence.  What do I want?  When do I want it?  What do I feel like having today?

What I’m talking about is the opposite of that.  Yes, go ahead and think about what you want – then deny yourself that very thing.

Now why would anyone want to do that?

Well I’m basing it on Jesus’ words in Mark chapter 8.  It says He called the crowd over, along with his disciples, and said, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.”

And now focus on these four words:  “he must deny himself.”

Have you ever done that – just denied yourself?  It means you want something, and you could have it, but instead you deny yourself.

Just try it, experiment with self denial, and let me tell you, today is a great day to start.

See, today is the first day of Lent.  Your church may or may not participate, but I’m sure you’ve heard about people giving up something for Lent, which is this time between now and Easter.

So why not give up something for Lent – as an act of self denial, like Jesus said?

Here is one of my favorite ideas.  Drink only water.  That means you deny yourself every other form of liquid refreshment.  For most people that is a radical change, a major self denial.  No cokes, no coffees, no teas.  No juices or kool-aids or power drinks.  Just water.

Then every time you think of drinking something else you pray, “Lord, I am denying myself all drinks but water.  I am doing this as a way to humble myself and follow You.”

You see, humility is a big part of self denial.  It means we come off the throne and the Lord takes His rightful place.  If we always do what we want, we are on the throne.  But when we deny ourselves, it means we come off the throne.  Our desires no longer rule our life.  We make God the ruler instead.

Here’s a common thing to give up for Lent:  meat.  For some of you that will be really hard, and you are just the person to do it.  Do the hard thing! 

Of course if you really want to do the hard thing you can fast from all food.  One of the things we commemorate with Lent is the time Jesus fasted for 40 days.  Many people have fasted for 40 days, and it’s a very serious, spiritual thing to do.

You may not be ready for a 40 day fast, but here’s a fast that’s still pretty serious but more manageable.  It’s a 72 hour fast, which is three days.  I’ve heard of people fasting from Sunday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon each week.

Or you might consider a Daniel Fast.  There are many variations of the Daniel Fast, but I like to simplify it this way:
Drink only water
Eat no meat
Eat no bread
Eat no sweets
Eat nothing fried

I know one woman who fasted from Facebook for 40 days.  And you know what?  If socializing on Facebook is a great desire of yours, something you do all the time, then yes, it would be a good form of self denial for you.

I know guys who watch the news all the time.  In fact, they stay current with the news as if President Obama might call any minute for their advice.  Well you know, most of us don’t need to keep up with the news.  In fact, it probably won’t make one little difference.  So if you are hooked on the news, a great act of self denial would be to give it up for Lent.

Or maybe you need to give up ESPN.  Or how about television altogether?

Here is one I’ve never heard of anyone doing, but I think it would be powerful – giving up music for Lent.  If you are always plugged into your iPod, how about listening to the birds for a change.

That word change – that’s the end result, you know.  Denying yourself will bring about a change in your life. 

See, it’s all about following Jesus.  We deny ourselves in order to take up our cross and follow Jesus.

So think about it.  Just try it.  Experiment with self denial.  Shove your desires out of the way to make more room for God in your life.

Today is the first day of Lent, and we’re moving toward the Easter season when we remember Christ’s great act of self denial for us. 

Surely we can sacrifice a little something for Him.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.

© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: