Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Conspiracy Trial for the Murder of the President - Apples of Gold - March 3, 2009 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.

 

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for March 3, 2009

“Conspiracy Trial for the Murder of the President”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

So have you taken advantage of Google Books yet?

Google has scanned tons of books and put them on the internet.

Now let me just give you an idea of what that means.

I can be sitting there waiting for someone, and instead of twiddling my thumbs I can access the internet through my cell phone and actually read a book found only in the Harvard University Library.  It might be a book so old and fragile that no one is allowed to read it.  But now we can all read it anywhere thanks to Google.

That’s where I came across this book, and it has a really long title, so here goes:  “The Conspiracy Trial for the Murder of the President and the Attempt to Overthrow the Government by the Assassination of its Principal Officers.”

Now if you like courtroom dramas, this book is for you.  It’s basically a blow by blow, word for word account of the trial after President Lincoln’s assassination.  It was published right after the trial, and it’s hundreds of pages long.

At one point in the trial the prosecution put Lieutenant Alexander Lovett on the stand.  He was asked if he sought for the assassins at the Wilmer’s residence. 

Now listen to this response given by Lieutenant Lovett:

“Yes sir, I went to Mr. Wilmer’s and searched his house – a thing I did not like to do.  I was satisfied before I searched it that there was nothing there because I knew the man by reputation.”

Sometimes when I’m reading I just stop and let things sink in.

Here it is again.  He said, “I was satisfied before I searched it that there was nothing there because I knew the man by reputation.”

You know what?  I want to have a strong reputation like that.  I want to have such a good reputation that even if someone accused me of doing wrong, everyone would just look at them like, “I don’t think so.”

I like what it says in First Peter 2:12, “Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.”

Yesterday I had a lunch appointment with two other men. 

I walked into the restaurant and told the hostess, “I’m meeting a couple of guys.”

She sat me down and I began waiting.

Little did I know that moments later they walked in, told the hostess they were meeting someone, and were promptly seated on the complete opposite side of the restaurant. 

After waiting a while, one of them finally got up and came looking for me.  And sure enough, there I was, just as he suspected.

And I like what he said.  He said he figured I was there somewhere because he just knew that I would not stand them up.

I took that as a high compliment.

Proverbs 22:1 says, “A good name is more desirable than great riches…”

You know the best way to have a good name?  Be a good person.

See, anyone can fake it for a while.  You can build up a good reputation – for a while. 

But that reputation will eventually fall apart if it’s not built on a true foundation. 

That’s one thing I love about being a Christian and following the Lord.  As we do that with all of our heart, a natural byproduct is a good reputation. 

People know you will be honest and true.  They know you will be loving and caring and helpful.  They know you will keep your word.  They know you will go the extra mile.

This is the reputation all Christians should have. 

Unfortunately, some are like Jesus described in Revelation 3:1.  To some He said, “I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead.”

Now that is something I don’t want.  I don’t want to have a good reputation on the outside, but not have the real stuff on the inside. 

Jesus said to them, “I know your deeds.”

And that’s what it comes down to.  It’s not just a good PR campaign.  It’s not acting a part. 

In the long run, our reputation will only be as good as our deeds.    

So what is your reputation today?  Is it like Lieutenant Lovett said of Mr. Wilmer?  Is it such that, even if someone accused you of doing wrong, everyone else would say, “No way.  I know that man.  He has a sterling reputation.”

Well the good news is, no matter what our reputation is right now, we can improve it.

And Jesus gave us the place the start.

Our deeds.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.

© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: