Monday, February 08, 2010

Where Can You Find Your Peace of Mind? - Apples of Gold - February 8, 2010 -vi-

Click here to listen to the radio version.   

Click here to search the AOG archives.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for February 8, 2010

“Where Can You Find Your Peace of Mind?”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

“All I want is to have my peace of mind.”

That’s the kind of stuff we cranked up on our 8-track players back in the 70’s.

Boston was a popular group with me and my friends, but we weren’t too worried about our peace of mind.  We were young and indestructible and, for the most part, foolish.

But then we got married and had children and bills and businesses – and all of a sudden peace of mind sounded pretty good.  The question is, how do you get it?

What if we asked everyone across America, “How do you get your peace of mind?”  I wonder what they would say.

Tons of people would say, “From antidepressants.”  CNN reported that antidepressants were the most prescribed drugs in the United States.

As one commentator said, “Instead of working on our problems, we just take pills to feel better about them.”

We may take pills.  We may take vacations.  We may just go shopping.  We can do all kinds of things, but where can we find a real, lasting peace of mind?

I think we find the answer in Romans 8:6.  It says, “…the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace…”

We will find true peace of mind, as we submit our mind to the Holy Spirit .

Here’s one way to look at it.  The more of God we have in our mind, the more peace we will have in our mind.

I like what the old King James says in Isaiah 26:3, “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee…”

Do you want perfect peace of mind?  Then fix your mind on God.

I know, I know, that sounds all nice and spiritual, but what does it look like in real life?

Well first of all, remember that if you are a Christian, a real born again believer, then the Holy Spirit lives inside you.  So the key is to somehow yield our minds to the Holy Spirit.

So how do I do that in real life? 

The first thing I do is pray.  When something comes along that begins to rob my peace of mind, I pray. 

Simply talking to God is a great way to get your mind back to where it belongs, “stayed on Thee.”  I can’t tell you how many times I have literally felt an instant calm, peace in the storm, just by turning to the Lord in prayer.

Philippians 4:6-7 describes this transaction.  It says, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Did you catch that last part?  The peace of God will guard your mind.

Listen, that is not the phony peace of antidepressants or alcohol or any other worldly pursuit.  That is the peace of God, and it’s the real thing.

So that’s the first thing I do when I need peace of mind.  I pray. 

The second thing I do is submit my mind to God.  I pray, “Lord, I want my thoughts to be Your thoughts.  I want to think Your way, not my way.  I need Your wisdom and insight.  I submit my mind to be led by Your Holy Spirit.”

Led by the Spirit?  Isn’t that a little hyper-spiritual?  Is that some kind of whacky new Bible translation?

No, it’s right there in the old King James, in Romans 8:14.  It says, “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”

That’s what I want.  I want my mind to be led, to be controlled by the Spirit of God.  As I yield my thoughts to Him, I will find the peace of mind I’m looking for.

And now the next step toward peace of mind.  I get out the Bible and meditate on the Word of God.  I meditate on God’s ways, His precepts and His statutes, even His mighty deeds of old.  The Word builds your faith; it stirs up the Spirit inside you, the peace-giving Spirit of God.

And finally, I don’t just get my peace, then go back to whatever I was doing.  Instead I surrender my life to God, fulltime.  I surrender it all to Him. 

In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus told us what to do instead of living in anxiety.  He said to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.

Now let’s review.  Here are the steps I take to find true peace of mind. 

I pray.

Then I submit my mind to God.

I meditate on His Word.

And I seek first His kingdom and His righteousness.

Yes, people try a lot of things, but this is the path to take if you want God’s very real peace of mind.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


© 2010 The Arrow’s Tip 
 To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: