Monday, June 02, 2008

How Do We Know If We Are Bearing Good Fruit? - Apples of Gold - June 2, 2008 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for June 2, 2008

“How Do We Know If We Are Bearing Good Fruit?”


Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

I want to bear good fruit.

I want to bear a lot of good fruit.

That’s one of the reasons I got into Christian radio, so I could scatter seed far and wide constantly.  Even at midnight I’m scattering seed.

I want to bear good fruit in my home.  I want to my marriage and my children to be very fruitful.  If there is a scoreboard for fruitfulness, I want to run up the score as high as I can.

But is it ever enough?  If I’m not the next Billy Graham, have I done enough?

Speaking of, let’s talk about Billy Graham.  Billy was one of the great producers in the kingdom, right?  But now he’s old, and wow, he just can’t produce like he used to. 

Is good fruit production only for the young and energetic?

What about single parents who work hard just to make ends meet and keep their kids out of trouble?  What kind of numbers can they put up on the fruitfulness scoreboard?

Do Christians with more public gifts like speaking and singing outscore those who don’t?

And how does God keep score anyway?

Have you noticed how all of this is based on performance?  I bear good fruit when I go out and produce, changing people and changing the world.  And if I’m not out there producing, well then I’m not bearing much fruit, am I?

We live in a performance culture.  The home run hitters are the producers and the bat boys aren’t.  And we Christians see ourselves the same way.  There are home run hitters bearing all kinds of good fruit, then there are the bat boys who, if they are producing any fruit at all, it’s hard to tell.

But you know what?  I don’t think that’s the way God looks at it. 

So how does God look at it?  First Samuel 16:7 says, “The Lord does not look at the things man looks at.  Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

The more I read the Bible, the more I realize the emphasis is not on what I’m doing “out there.”  The emphasis is on what’s happening in here, inside me.

“But Doug, aren’t we to be expanding the kingdom of God…out there?”

Well, where is the kingdom of God?  Jesus said in Luke 17:21, “…the kingdom of God is within you.”

So if we want to bear fruit in the kingdom, where is that?  It’s inside of us.

So if bearing fruit is not so much about how many souls I reached, or good deeds I did, then what is it about? 

I think it’s about Galatians 5:16.  Are we living “by the Spirit”?  Are we “walking in the Spirit”?  Verse 18 talks about being “led by the Spirit.”

Now I know some of you are saying, “This is getting weird.  How am I supposed to be led by the Spirit?”

Jesus said in John 14:17 that the Holy Spirit would actually come to live inside of us.  And what is He doing in there?  He is working to produce good fruit, but He can only do that as we let Him lead us.

The opposite of this is being led by our sinful nature, which includes selfish ambition.  So what if we do good deeds out of selfish ambition?  Do our good deeds bear good fruit? 

For example, you might say, “Okay, so I witnessed to 12 people just to show off, and 3 of them got saved.  Isn’t that bearing good fruit?”

Not for you.  The only fruit you produced was pride.

Do you want to check for good fruit?  What should you look for?  The number of good deeds?

No, because our good fruit is found right here, inside of us.

How do we know if we are bearing good fruit?  We look for what Galatians 5 calls “the fruit of the Spirit.”  Here is that list of nine qualities:  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.

Ephesians 5 adds a couple more:  righteousness and truth.

These are inner characteristics, and they come from God’s Holy Spirit.  The more we are led by His Spirit, the more good fruit within us.

If I am a bold witness for Christ, but I’m impatient and unkind, am I really bearing good fruit?  If I give money to the poor, but I lack love, am I bearing good fruit?  If I’m in fulltime ministry, working for God all week long, but I lack joy, am I bearing good fruit?

In Acts 5, when Ananias and Sapphira gave a bunch of money to the church, it looked like they were bearing good fruit.  But because they were lying, actually their fruit was rotten. 

See, the kingdom of God is not “out there.”  And the fruit of the kingdom is not out there.  No, the fruit is in here, and we bear that fruit, not by doing good, but by walking in the Spirit and being led by the Spirit.  As we give the Lord control, then He bears the good fruit within us.

So it’s not about how many good deeds I do.  It’s not about how much Gospel seed I sow.  It’s not even about being a good spouse or a good parent.  The fruit God is looking for is the fruit of His Spirit, and He’s not looking out there.  He is looking inside me.

And if that’s the measurement, then yes, Billy Graham can still bear much fruit today, not by getting out and working like he was 40 again, but as the Spirit bears fruit within him. 

Single parents can bear much fruit, even if they don’t have a bunch of time for outside ministry.  People without the more public talents like speaking or singing can bear much fruit.

Because bearing fruit comes down to this.  It’s not about what we do “out there.”  But it’s about what we let the Spirit do “in here.”


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.
 
Does that mean we don’t have to do good deeds or witness or give?  On the contrary, BECAUSE we are walking in the Spirit, and the Spirit is bearing good fruit within us, then good deeds just
FLOW out of us!  And they are done with pure motives and joy!

© 2008 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hi Doug,

I loved your blog on the fruits of the holy spirit. I was looking for the answer to my question about the fruits and you have explained it so beautifully. Thank you for writing this. I have been blessed.

Thanks,
Jenny