Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Santa Bag Full of Strife - Apples of Gold - June 25, 2008 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for June 25, 2008

“A Santa Bag Full of Strife”


Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

So we were sitting around the dinner table the other night, and I noticed the young man to my right was horking down his food.

I said, “Does it taste good?”

“Yep.”

“How do you know?  It’s going straight down your throat.”

I told him to slow down, then I decided to show him how it should go.  I made a big production out of taking a bite and saying, “Mmmmmmm.  Enjoy the flavor of every bite.”

Then I did it a couple more times, you know, to drive the lesson home.

“Mmmmmmmmmmm,” I said.

“Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!”

Well that last “Mmmm” finally crossed my wife’s irritation threshold.

“Alright,” she said, “You made your point and now you’re killing it.”

Then my youngest daughter piped in, “Yeh, Dad, really…”

So I turned to my wife, and I wasn’t smiling.  I waved my hand toward my daughter and said, “See – you start it and she just reflects your attitude.”

The little Christian family dinner was turning into the Sopranos.

Then a little sound changed everything.  We all stopped when the young man to my right, with food in his mouth and a twinkle in his eye, said, “Mmmmmmm!”

And that was that.  Peace was restored and we went on to enjoy a nice meal and a happy rest-of-the-day.

Now listen to the role that young man played.  He played the role of peacemaker.  It was a bit of genius really, and we can all learn a lot from what he did.

So here’s the question.  What do we do when suddenly the peace is broken?  How do we respond?

Well here is how God wants us to respond.  He wants us to make peace.

Jesus said, “Blessed are the peacemakers.”

There are a host of scriptures that tell us to be peacemakers. .

First Corinthians 7:15 says, “…God has called us to live in peace.”

First Peter 3:11 says, “…seek peace and pursuit it.”

Romans 12:18 says, “…as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.”

Romans 14:9 says, “…make every effort to do what leads to peace…”

Hebrews 12:14 says, “Make every effort to live in peace with all men…”

So it’s obvious that peace is a high priority for Christians. 

The biggest question is always, “How can I be a peacemaker with someone who constantly stirs up strife?”

I don’t know.

(roll music)

Comments?

E-mail me, Doug Apple…

(stop music)

Just kidding.  :  )

But seriously, is there a way to be a peacemaker around someone who seems to carry a big Santa bag full of strife and every day is Christmas?

I think the first step is to make sure you start with peace in your own heart, and that comes from the Holy Spirit within you.  Peace is a fruit of the Spirit, so if you can let the Holy Spirit rule in your own heart, that’s half the battle.  That will keep you from reacting poorly when they hand you a big box of strife.

Then what you need is what James 3:17 calls, “the wisdom that comes from heaven.” 

Really, when you are dealing with a peace-wrecker, you can’t deal with it off the top of your head.  You need wisdom from God.  You need to pray for what I call “keen insight.”  I pray that often, “Lord, give me keen insight into the situation.” 

James says that wisdom from heaven is impartial and sincere.  It doesn’t choose sides.  It doesn’t react or fly off the handle.  It doesn’t burst forth in a rage.  James says it is full of mercy and good fruit.

Yes, the Bible stresses our role as peacemakers, and there you have two ways to step into that role.  First, keep the peace in your own heart through the fruit of the Spirit, then second, ask God for wisdom from heaven to deal with stressful situations when they occur.

And the next time things take a Corleone twist at the dinner table, you can snatch it from the jaws of misery and end up with an enjoyable rest-of-the-day.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


© 2008 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: