Thursday, July 24, 2008

Who Are You to Tell Me What to Do? - Apples of Gold - July 24, 2008 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for July 24, 2008

“Who Are You to Tell Me What to Do?”


Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Humility says, “Who am I?”

Pride says, “Who are you?”

In our pride we say, “Who are you to tell me what to do?”  It doesn’t matter if it’s our boss, our spouse, our teachers, or even the government.  As soon as someone wants us to do something we aren’t eager to do, we rebel.  As they say in the south, we “bow up.”

That’s our pride.  Pride says, “I decide what I do.  Who are you?”

How many athletes have stunted their abilities because they would not submit to the coach?

How many children have made their lives more difficult because they would not submit to their parents?

How many employees have blown opportunities for advancement because they would not submit to their boss?

How many families have been broken because nobody would submit to anyone?

This happens in churches as well.  How many Christians have hindered their spiritual growth by not submitting to church leadership?

This seems to be worse in America.  Maybe it’s in our blood as revolutionaries who refused to submit to the king of England. 

But it’s certainly not unique to America.  It’s universal.  We have our pride.  We look out for number one.  We won’t be pushed around.  No one is going to tell me what to do.  No one besides me knows what is best for me.

This, my friend, is not God’s plan.  When we read the Bible we see that God has something else in mind.

For example, look at Hebrews 13:17.  “Obey your leaders and submit to their authority.”

First Peter 2:13 says, “Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men…”

So the process is simple.  Identify your leaders, then submit to them.

Who are the leaders in my life?  Well my first leader is God.  If any human leader wants me to sin against God, then I submit to my first leader first.  I obey God rather than men.

Then who?  Well Romans 13 says we must submit to the governing authorities.  For me, that is a host of people, from traffic cops to IRS agents to the commissioners of the FCC.  I submit to all those who make and enforce the laws of the land.

If I don’t, Romans 13:2 says that I am rebelling against what God has instituted, and I will bring judgment on myself.

Another important leader in my life is my boss, the owner of this radio station.  If he wants me to do something, I do it. 

Now I have a great boss, but some people don’t.  Some people have bosses who just don’t belong in that position.  Now what?  Same thing.  Unless it’s a sin, do what they tell you to do. 

Here is your goal.  Hebrews 13:17 says, “Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden…”

What will make their work a joy?  When you get done exactly what they want done with the least amount of hassle possible.  That means no talking back and no talking behind their back.

What if you don’t like your boss?  Well, as a Christian you are supposed to love your boss.  But besides that, look at First Peter 2:13.  It says, “Submit…for the Lord’s sake…”  So if you can’t do it for your boss, do it as unto the Lord.

So the leaders in my life are God, the government and my boss.  Who else?  Well there is the leadership at my church. 

Look at Hebrews 13:17 in the King James Version.  It says, “Obey them that have the rule over you…for they watch for your souls…”

This is a responsibility of church leadership.  They must watch over my soul, over things that affect my spiritual life.  And my part is to submit to their leadership. 

Okay, in addition to God and the government and my boss and church leadership, who else do I submit to?

First Peter 5:5 says, “Young men…be submissive to those who are older.” 

Here is another thing seriously lacking in America, and that is respect for our elders.  We tend to worship youth and look down on the aged.  But God wants me to submit to those who are older than me. 

This includes my parents.  Even though I’m a grown man with a family of my own, I am still called to submit to my elders, including my parents.

And finally there is Ephesians 5:21 which says, “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.”

“Wait a minute, Doug.  That pretty much leaves me submitting to everyone.  When am I ever in charge?”

Look what Jesus said in Luke 22:26.  He said that from now on, the leader should be like the servant.  And he used himself as the prime example.  “The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve…”*

So who am I?  I am a servant, submitting to everyone in order to serve them. 

And the key to submission is humility.  Titus 3:2 says that I should show true humility toward all men.

When I am humble, I am willing to submit and to serve. 

And when someone wants me to do something, I don’t say, “Who are you to tell me to do that?”  Instead, in humility I say, “Why shouldn’t I do that?  Who am I?”


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.

*  Matthew 20:28
 
© 2008 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: