Thursday, October 23, 2008

God Is Watching You - Apples of Gold - October 23, 2008 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for October 23, 2008

“God Is Watching You”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

“God is watching you.”

“That’s all I really knew about God,” she said, “Because that’s all my mom told me.  I think it was just a mom-thing, you know, to keep me out of trouble.  And I guess it worked because I always had that in the back of my mind.  God is watching me.”

Well, maybe it was just a mom-thing.  But it is true.  God is watching us.

Psalm 33 says, “From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth – he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do.”

So the Lord is watching all of us.  And not like an old man watching TV past his bedtime.  He is highly alert, considering everything we do.

Hebrews
4:13 says, “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight.  Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”

Did you catch that?  It’s not just that God is watching, that He sees everything we do.  There’s more.  It says, “Everything is…laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”

Deep down I think everyone knows this; atheists, agnostics, everyone.  We all know deep down that we will be held accountable for what we do.  There is just a sixth sense about it.

Ecclesiastes 3:11 says that God has “set eternity in the hearts of men…”

It’s hardwired into us.  Romans 1 indicates that we all know God and know about God, but some of us choose to ignore Him.  Verse 18 uses this phrase, “suppress the truth.”

I think everyone is born with a sense that there is more to life than what we can see. 

Have you ever had one of those moments when you looked around and thought, “Is this even real?”

That’s because what we see is only temporary, but God has put eternity in our hearts.

Second Corinthians 4:18 says that “what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”

It’s not that this world isn’t real.  It is.  God Himself created it.  But there is more.  There is something even more “real.”  It is the “unseen,” the eternal.

Like I said, I think we are all born with a sense that there is more to life than what we can see.  Deep down we know there is a God, and we just know that He is watching.

And we know that He is going to hold us accountable.

“Oh, Doug, I think God is busy doing a lot more important things that sitting around watching me all day.”

That’s like saying the sun can’t shine on California because it’s so busy shining on Florida.  The sun shines on the whole galaxy 24 hours a day, no big deal.  And it’s no big deal for God to watch all of us all of the time.

Proverbs 15:3 says, “The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good.”

Genesis 16:13 gives this name to God:  El Roi (pronounced ro-EE) – “The God Who Sees.”

“Well Doug, I think this whole ‘God is watching’ thing is just a fairy to tale made up to make kids behave.”

Yes, it should make kids behave, and grownups, too.  You can deny it with your head, but deep down you know it’s true.  God is watching.

Last night I hooked up my computer to my television.  It was weird because I was working on the computer in one room, and in the other room everything I did was being blasted onto the big TV screen. 

I thought, “Wow, talk about accountability.  Not only is everything I do showing up in the other room for all to see, it’s showing up much bigger and clearer than I can see it myself.”

And that’s the way it is with God.  Everything we do shows up on His big screen.  He sees it all, and He sees it more clearly than we do.

And He’s keeping track.  And He’s holding us accountable.

This is something to think about.  Yes, temptations come.  They always come.  And when they do, it’s helpful to keep this mind.

God is watching you.

Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.
 
 Some people will think this is trite or artificially ominous or threatening, or even backwards and religious and dumb.  I think those are arguments and deceptions cooked up to keep us from accepting and living by this plain and simple truth clearly portrayed in the Scriptures.
© 2008 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: