Thursday, October 09, 2008

That Shadow Belongs to Daddy - Apples of Gold - October 9, 2008 ***Welcome to the world nephew Anthony Michael Spracklen!*** -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for October 9, 2008

“That Shadow Belongs to Daddy”


Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

A new Daddy was born this week.

He arrived at the same time as Anthony Michael Spracklen, my baby nephew.*

Maybe you don’t know Daddy Spracklen, but he’s going to be huge in the life of little Anthony.

I remember when I first felt the mantle of fatherhood settle on my shoulders.  I was coming home late one night after work.  I approached the door to our apartment building where my pregnant wife was sleeping inside; and the street light cast my shadow ahead of me.

It suddenly dawned on me that soon a pair of little eyes would see that shadow and feel safe.  They would see that shadow and feel love.  They would see that shadow and know that everything is going to be okay, because that shadow belongs to Daddy.

I remember as a kid when my Dad had to work late.  It’s like the house was missing a wheel until Dad came home. 

I think it’s that way for my family.  For a time years ago I spent one night a week out of state where I managed a second radio station.  My family hated it.  The day is unresolved when Dad doesn’t come home.  I didn’t like it either and changed my schedule.

Now it would be easy to be Dad if you were all-powerful.  But we’re not.  We carry this mighty responsibility without the capability.  We can’t possibly be “all that” to our kids.  Sometimes I feel the inadequacy dripping through my paper umbrella.

That’s when I turn to my Heavenly Father.  Sometimes I bow my head.  Sometimes I call out.  Sometimes I fall to my knees, turn my hands up and say, “God, I can’t do it without You.  I don’t know what to do.  I have no idea what is best.  To be a father I need You, Father.”

Right now our economy is tottering.  If you are a dad who provides for your family, every news cycle leaves that match-like odor of fear.

Well here is a verse we can cling to, Romans 8:15.  It says, “For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship.  And by him we cry, ‘Abba, Father.’”

As a child of God, I am not a slave to fear.  It has no hold on me, no matter what is happening around me.  Instead I have received the Spirit of sonship, the Holy Spirit of God which bubbles up within me like living water and reaches up to my Father in heaven and says, “Dad!”

No, I don’t know exactly what God is up to.  He’s the Father and I’m the child and His ways are beyond mine.  I can’t even see Him…but I see His shadow.  I see His shadow and I feel safe.  I see His shadow and I feel love.  I see His shadow and I know everything is going to be okay, because that shadow belongs to Daddy.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.
   
*  Welcome to the world Anthony Michael Spracklen, firstborn son of my little sister Jennifer and her husband Jeff, born Tuesday morning at
11:06, 5 pounds, 11 ounces, and 18 inches.   Or as my wife pointed out, “about half the size of my daughter Bethany!”

© 2008 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: