Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How to Be Free From Ungodly Desires - Apples of Gold - February 24, 2009 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.

 

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for February 24, 2009

“How to Be Free From Ungodly Desires”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

There are things that I once desired that I no longer desire.

No, it’s not that those desires are still lurking around the corner.

They are just gone.  Nonexistent. 

They have been replaced by new desires, good desires, godly desires.

How did it happen?  How were destructive and generally not-so-good desires replaced by much better desires?

I find the answer in the prophecy of Ezekiel 36:27.  It says, “And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.”

The King James says, “…I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes…”

Now listen to this.  People are pretty much going to do what they want to do.

Have you ever heard the phrase, “power corrupts”?  Why does power corrupt?  Because people are already corrupt, and when they have power, they have the power to carry out their corrupt desires.

Yes, it’s my opinion that people are pretty much going to do what they want, at least what they have the power to get away with.

We can try to change people’s actions on the outside, but the only way to bring about true change is to change people’s desires on the inside.

How on earth can that be accomplished? 

Back to the prophecy in Ezekiel 36.  God will put His Spirit inside of us, and move us to walk in His ways.

Now look at Philippians 2:13.  “…for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure…”

It is God working inside of us.  He changes our desires, which quite naturally changes our actions.

Our desires go from sinful desires to godly desires.

In John 8 Jesus said that everyone who sins is a slave to sin.  Well we sin because we have a sinful nature, and we do what that nature desires.  We are basically slaves to our sinful desires.

Have you ever felt that?  You have desires, you know they are wrong, but you want them anyway.

What you need is a change in your desires.  But how can you possibly change your desires?

Now listen.  You probably can’t.  This is the expertise of the Holy Spirit. 

Another name for the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth.  In fact, First John 5:6 says, “…the Spirit is the truth.”

When the Holy Spirit comes inside of us, He brings the power of the truth of God.  Jesus said in John 16, “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth.”

And what good does that do?

Well as Jesus so famously said, “…the truth will set you free.”

His full statement was, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

And John 8:36 says, “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”

Don’t you want that freedom?  You can be free from your sinful desires.  Those desires can be completely replaced by good and proper desires, desires that lead to freedom, not bondage.

Now how exactly does that happen?

The key is to get the Holy Spirit inside you.  That may sound odd, but that’s the way it works.

Second Corinthians 1:22 says God will put His “Spirit in our hearts…”

Ephesians 3:16 indicates that God will strengthen us with power through His Spirit in our “inner man.”

So how do we do it?  How can we get our desires changed by getting His Spirit inside us?

Well the Bible has a lot to say on this subject.  I recommend you study all that the Word says about the Holy Spirit.

But if I had to find just one verse to share on the subject, it would be what Jesus said in Luke 11:13, “…how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

I think that’s the key.  Ask Him!

So do you want your desires changed? 

Then start with this simple prayer. 

“Lord…please…with all my heart I ask, I invite, I welcome your Holy Spirit to come and live inside me.”

In Jesus’ name…amen!


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.

© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: