Thursday, February 19, 2009

Steely-Eyed Determination - Apples of Gold - February 19, 2009 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.

 

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for February 19, 2009

“Steely-Eyed Determination”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Here is a scene I love from the Bible.

The details in Luke 13 are sketchy, so allow me to imagine some details.

I picture Jesus sitting down outside, a little weary and getting some rest.

Disciples are milling around, and a little fire is burning in the background. 

And up walk his favorite people, the Pharisees.

Jesus looks up, purses His lips ever so imperceptibly, and looks back down to a stick He is whittling on. 

The Pharisees have some news for Jesus, news that excites them because it’s a win-win situation for them.  Either a) it will get Jesus out of their hair, or b) it will get Jesus killed.  Either way they would be rid of Him.

In Luke 13:31 they deliver this news to Jesus, “Leave this place and go somewhere else.  Herod wants to kill you.”

At this Jesus stops His whittling and looks up at them.  He tilts His head slightly, looks at one of the underlings who drops his eyes, then looks back at the leader. 

And then something happens around His eyes.  Tiny little muscles constrict ever so slightly.  His gaze locks into focus. 

He speaks.

“Go tell that fox…”

He’s not even really speaking to the Pharisees now. 

“I will…”

He’s speaking to everyone, visible and invisible.

“…reach my goal.”

It’s a declaration of His will.  This is what will happen.  It is set.  It is determined.  It is unstoppable. 

He almost didn’t even have to say it.  You could see it in His eyes.  There it was.

Steely-eyed determination.

And it was summed up in two words:  I will.

I like it when Jesus says “I will,” as in, “I will build my church,” and “I will rise again,” and “I will come back.”

I like bold statements of the will.  I like to make them myself, but I don’t want to make them lightly.  So I look to the Bible for bold patterns I can follow.

And you know where I find a bunch of good ones?  In the Psalms.

Here are just a few of the bold statements of the will, a few declarations from the Psalms that I can make with steely-eyed determination.

I will…seek the face of the Lord.  (Psalm 27:8)

I will…call on Him as long as I live.  (Psalm 116:2)

I will…confess my transgressions to the Lord.  (Psalm 32:5)

I will…listen to what God the Lord will say.  (Psalm 85:8)

I will…meditate on His precepts.  (Psalm 119:78)

I will…remember all His mighty deeds.  (Psalm 77:11-12)

I will…walk in His truth.  (Psalm 86:11)

I will…have nothing to do with evil.  (Psalm 101:4)

I will…keep my tongue from sin.  (Psalm 39:1)

I will…set before my eyes no vile thing.  (Psalm 101:3)

I will…keep His decrees to the end.  (Psalm 119:33)

I will…proclaim the Lord’s mighty deeds.  (Psalm 71:16, 73:28)

I will…teach others the Lord’s ways.  (Psalm 51:13)

I will…make His faithfulness known through all generations.  (Psalm 89:1)

I will…be glad and rejoice in Him.  (Psalm 9:2)

I will…give thanks to the Lord forever.  (Psalm 30:12)

I will…praise the Lord among the nations.  (Psalm 18:49)

I will…extol the Lord at all times.  (Psalm 34:1)

I will…praise Him as long as I live.  (Psalm 63:4)

I will…praise Him with all my heart.  (Psalm 86:12)

I will…praise Him with all my life.  (Psalm 146:2)

I will…sing to the Lord, for He has been good to me.  (Psalm 13:6)

I will…sing of His great love forever.  (Psalm 89:1)

I will…sing of His strength and His justice with all my soul.  (Psalm 59:16, 101:1, 108:1)

I will…sing a new song, and make music to my God.  (Psalm 144:9)

I will…sing praise to my God as long as I live.  (Psalm 104:33)

I will…fear no evil, for He is with me.  (Psalm 23:4)

I will…not be afraid, and I will not be shaken.  (Psalm 56:4, 16:8)

I will…always have hope.  (Psalm 71:14)

I will…perpetuate His memory through all generations; therefore the nations will praise Him for ever and ever.  (Psalm 45:17)

And that’s just a few of the “I will” statements in the Psalms.

Declare them for yourself.  Declare them with power and fervor, to everyone visible and invisible.

Say it strong. 

And say it with steely-eyed determination.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.

© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: