Thursday, August 20, 2009

Get Creative, For the Children's Sake - Apples of Gold - August 20, 2009 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.

 

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for August 20, 2009

“Get Creative, For the Children’s Sake”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

“Oh, we just don’t have that many kids in church anymore.  Hey, it’s impossible to compete with all these high tech movies and video games.  How can our children’s church, with our tiny little budget, even compare to what the world has to offer?”

Well first of all, we have something far better to offer.  The Gospel, the love of the Lord, forgiveness, truth, hope, wisdom and loving Christian companionship.  So at its foundation, the church beats the world hands down.

But the kids have to want to come.  You want the kids to beg their parents to bring them. 

How can you make that happen?  Through creativity.

You can’t just stand up in front of a classroom of kids and read a lesson out of a book.  Yeah, you might get away with that – for about a minute.  And then you’ve lost them.

But you can prevent that by being creative.  Yes, it takes more time, but if it’s worth doing at all, it’s worth doing right.  So go the extra mile and be creative.

That means you think and pray and come up with creative ways to drive your lesson home.  It means engaging the kids and giving them a chance to express themselves.

My son is involved in our children’s church – and he plays guitar.  I told him, “You need to get that guitar out.  Sure, you can preach to the kids, but if you really want them to sit up and pay attention, get out that guitar.”

Even adults like stories with guitars.  I remember going to a men’s meeting one time, and a pastor delivered his message while playing the guitar!  Instead of just standing up there talking, he had set his message to a guitar accompaniment.

See, as soon as you step out there and get creative, everyone sits up and pays attention.

So let’s say you wanted to teach a bunch of kids about Jonah.  Sure, you could just read them the story out of the Bible.  But is that going to make them rush out to their parents all excited?  Or are they going to whine the next time they have to go?

So get creative! 

In fact, just for kicks I went ahead and put together the story of Jonah in a way that would have all the kids hanging on your every word.

So here is the story of Jonah, with a little dash of creativity:

“Go preach against-ah Nineveh!”
He ran the other way.
Ol’ Jonah took a Joppa boat,
And heard the sailors say (they said)
“Tar-shish!  Tar-shish!”
Each wave that hit the sailboat said, “Tar-shish!”

Now let me stop right here and explain what will happen in a live setting.  When you get a bunch of kids together, it’s great to get them involved.  So at the end of each stanza I’ve built in this repetitive phrase.  When you get to the end, instead of saying it yourself, you can encourage them to shout it out, “Tar-shish!”  And let me tell you, by the end of this they will all be hanging on the edge of their seat, just waiting to see what they can shout out next!

Now back to the story, and at the end of each stanza just imagine a room full of kids shouting it out.

A violent storm arose and those
Old sailors were afraid.
They tossed the cargo overboard,
But downstairs Jonah laid (and fell)
Asleep!  Asleep!
The ship could sink, but Jonah was asleep!

The captain panicked, ran downstairs,
Said, “Joe, you better pray!”
They cast some lots to point the blame,
And what did those lots say? (they said)
“It’s him!  It’s him!”
With eyes on Jonah, each one said, “It’s him!”

“Who are you?” they cried out to him.
“I worship God the Lord.”
“What should we do?”  “I guess you’ll have to
toss me overboard into
the sea!  The sea!
They tossed him overboard into the sea!

The waves went down, a fish swam up,
And swallowed Jonah whole.
Three days and nights he stayed down there.
“What should I do?  Oh-ho!” (he said)
“I’ll pray!  I’ll pray!”
“The best thing I can do,” he said, “I’ll pray!”

The fish came up, and Joe came out,
And walked up on the land.
“Go preach against-ah Nineveh!”
And this time Jonah said,
“You know? I’ll go!  I’ll go!”
“I’d love to preach at Nineveh.  I’ll go!”

So Jonah preached, and they got right.
It was a glorious day!
And now, you know, God may call you.
And what are you going to say?  (you’ll say)
“I’ll go!  I’ll go!”
When God calls you, I hope you’ll say, “I’ll go!”

And now you have a riled up bunch of kids shouting that they will Go! when God calls them.

And now what about you?  Maybe this is God calling you to take your children’s ministry to the next level.

So is your children’s ministry a little weak?  Are your numbers down?  Are the kids just bored and staying away in droves?

Then try this. 

Get creative – for the children’s sake.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip 
 
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: