Wednesday, August 05, 2009

What Are You Known For? - Apples of Gold - August 5, 2009 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.

 

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for August 5, 2009

“What Are You Known For?”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

So I flipped through my Facebook friends and asked myself, “What are they known for?”

Or more accurately, “What do I know them for?”

And here is what I came up, just a few of them off the top of my mind:

Adam – quietly putting his faith into action.

Alecia – fun loving.

Ali – always smiling.

Andrea – a nurse.

April – on fire and intense for God.

Bill – a school teacher.

Bill – an outdoorsman (I wanted to say redneck, but I didn’t).

Bill – a car salesman.

Brent – very scientific.

Brett – moved his family to Colorado at the Lord’s leading.

Cayden – a drummer with the personality to match.

Chelsea – a beauty queen.

Chet – always makes me laugh, I’m still laughing just seeing his profile picture.

Christie – a worship leader with consistent passion year after year.

Dana – a Cub fan, which is sad to say since I went to both high school and college with Dana, and yet most prominent in my mind is the stain of being a Cub fan – sorry to all you Cubbies out there.

Anyway, it’s an interesting exercise.  Try it.  Just think of people you know and ask yourself, “What are they known for?”

And perhaps a more interesting exercise would be to find out what other people think you are known for.

And there really is no wrong answer, because if they say they know you for something, then that’s what you are known for, at least to them.

It’s what you do.  It’s what you say.  It’s how you act.

Proverbs 20:11 says, “Even a child is known by his actions…”

So the question is, “What are you known for?”

The other day an atheist let me know what I was known for from his perspective.  He said I was a “radio propagandist.”

Most adults are probably known for their occupation:  pastors, doctors, nurses, farmers, firemen, salesmen…  Students are known for the school they attend, unless they are a standout in something, such as athletics.

I thought of all this after reading First Thessalonians 1:8 which says, “…your faith in God has become known everywhere.”

The Thessalonians became known everywhere for their faith in God. 

So I ask myself, “Am I known for my faith in God?”

Romans 16:19 says, “…your obedience has become known to all.”

So I ask myself, “Am I known for my obedience to God?”

Acts 6:3 says, “…choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom.”

Am I known for being full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom?

First Timothy 5:10 talks about being well known for good deeds, which makes me ask, “Am I well known for good deeds?”

In Matthew 12:33 Jesus said, “…a tree is known by its fruit.”

How people know me is a pretty good indication of what I really am.  They may not know everything about the tree, they may not have seen every side of the tree, they may have only seen one piece of fruit from the tree.

But you know how it is – one piece of fruit gives you a pretty good indication of what the tree is really like.

So today, here is something to truly ponder.

Ask yourself this simple question, “What am I known for?”


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip 
 
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: