Monday, February 20, 2017

Thou Knowest



I’m Doug Apple...and my heart is on fire! (Luke 24:32)

Here is a phrase I use a lot in my prayers:  Thou knowest.

When I face uncertain circumstances (and aren’t they all) I simply turn my mind toward heaven and say, “Thou knowest.”

What should I do?  “Thou knowest.”

How should I use my time?  “Thou knowest.”

Where’s the money going to come from?  “Thou knowest.”

How should I pray for my kids?  “Thou knowest.”

It’s my way of expressing my serious lack of knowledge to the Lord, submitting to Him, and running toward Him in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

I surely don’t know how the world really works and what I’m supposed to do...but He knows.  God knows.  The Lord almighty knows.  El Elyon knows.

It goes back to Ezekiel 37, when God took the mighty prophet Ezekiel to the valley of dry bones. 

Imagine the quiet.  The wind.  The solitude.  The arid land. 

God says to His prophet, “Can these bones live?”

And here’s where my phrase, “Thou knowest” comes from, because that’s exactly what Ezekiel says to God in this divine moment. 

Ezekiel doesn’t try to guess, or take a random stab, or even make light of it.

He just answers with the most sober, most humble and yet most trusting, sheep-like answer to the Shepherd.

Thou knowest.

God bless you, today.

I’m Doug Apple.

No comments: