Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Get Wisdom - No Matter What It Costs You

I was more judgmental as a young man.

When I saw a weakness in someone I judged them to be weak.

Then along came an older man whom I respected highly.  He was a successful businessman and outspoken about his faith.  He had a nice family.  He was very gracious and loving, and when he smiled you thought “Now there is the true joy of the Lord.”

I’ll never forget the day he told me that he and his wife had gone for marriage counseling. 

I wonder if the shock showed on my face.

I had always held him in high esteem, and now I find out that his marriage is crumbling?

The shock must have shown, because he said, “Oh, it’s nothing bad.  Just some things we are working on to make our marriage stronger.”

That was quite a few years ago, and over time I have grown to respect what he did more and more.

I guess I’m the typical American male.  And one thing we don’t do is admit to having weaknesses.  Oh, we know we have them, but we work on them in private.  We try to fix things ourselves before anyone finds out.

The thing is, if we don’t ask for help, we don’t get any.  And if we think we are smart enough to handle everything alone we are wrong – and dumb.

This man saw some weaknesses in his marriage.  Instead of trying to solve them alone, he knew enough to know that a wise counselor could help them be much stronger.  He was willing to humble himself.  That humbling was a price he was willing to pay in order to get some wisdom for his marriage.

His action reminds me of Proverbs 4:7 which tells us to get wisdom, no matter what it costs.

In his case it cost him the humbling of asking for help, the money for the counselor, and the time spent in counseling when he could have been conducting business.

But what if he hadn’t paid that price?  Think of the cost of a wrecked marriage.  Think of the cost of a divorce.  Or even the emotional toll of a dysfunctional marriage.  Those are all much higher prices than the cost of getting some wise counsel.

That’s why the Bible places the value of wisdom so high.  King Solomon said, “Get wisdom…though it cost you all you have…”

Then he explains the value.  “When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble.”*

Do you feel like your walk is hampered?  Does it feel like just as you begin to run, you stumble? 

Maybe it’s time to stop trying to handle it by yourself.  Get some help.  Seek some wise counsel. 

Yes, there is a price.  Yes, it will be humbling.  It will cost you time and money.  But think of the time and money wasted every time you stumble.  Get those stumbling blocks out of the way. 

Think about this, you would have already removed your stumbling blocks by yourself, if you could.  So whatever stumbling blocks are still tripping you up are probably stumbling blocks you need help with.

Why wait any longer?  Get the help you need and get them out of the way. 

It’s time to get wisdom, whatever it costs you.

(as featured on Wave 94.1 FM)

dougapple@wave94.com

www.wave94.com

 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I really enjoyed this post.....it really made me think about a lot of areas. Although I'm not male and therefore do not have to worry about the admitting weakness/not asking for help bit......lol. Thanks for this!