Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Be Careful Little Christian Who You Date - Apples of Gold - January 6, 2009 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for January 6, 2009

“Be Careful Little Christian Who You Date”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

In high school we played what the teacher called “The Economics Game.”

We were each assigned to a certain situation, then turned loose to make the most of it.

A friend of mine talked to some students who had already played the game, and he came up with a winning strategy.

It was a lot like life, really.  Most of the kids didn’t know what they were doing, so it was easy to take advantage of them and build our little empire. 

At the end of the first semester I was way ahead in the game.

Then came the punishing twist.

At the start of the second semester the teacher reversed the scores!

Where I once was in the lead, now I was in last place.

But actually we had planned for that.  After the reversal my friend raced into the lead and won the second semester.  And I think we both got A’s in the class.

Now go back to that score reversal.  There I was, leading the pack, only to be thrown to the back of the line.

I think about that every time I read Philippians chapter 3.

Paul was leading the pack.  Compared to his fellow Jews he was more zealous, more righteous, a “Hebrew of Hebrews,” he said.

But now listen to Philippians 3:7.  “But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss…”

It’s just like my score in the Economics Game.  Paul was way ahead, only to realize that the very things that put him in the lead were actually things that put him behind!

How could that be?

It’s because all those things just got in the way of knowing Christ.

Paul said, “Whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them rubbish that I may gain Christ…”

Do you realize what he is saying here?  He is saying that anything that doesn’t help him grow in the Lord is actually a negative, a loss.  It’s rotting, stinking trash.

Now let’s talk about dating.  Are you dating someone who isn’t helping you grow in Christ?  I don’t care how wonderful they are.  Yes, they are putting points on the board, running up your score.  With them you feel like a winner!

But actually, no.  Your score is going the other way.  If they aren’t helping you grow in Christ, then what seems like gain is actually loss.

Peter had a moment like this.  In Mark chapter 8 Jesus told his disciples how He would suffer and be killed.  Peter rose to the occasion.  He was ready to run up the score.  He took Jesus aside and began to rebuke Him. 

I imagine Peter saying things like, “Huh-uh Jesus.  Not on my watch.  As long I’m here, no one is going to lay a hand on You.  Bank on it.”

I think to Peter this was a grand moment, a chance to show Jesus his deep love and loyalty.

But all of a sudden, what he thought was a great gain turned out to be a huge loss.

Mark
8:33 says Jesus rebuked Peter.  “Get behind me, Satan!  You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”

What a statement!

This is where the rubber meets the road.  Do we have in mind the things of God or the things of men?

It’s a wonderful feeling to be attracted to someone and find out they are attracted to you.  It can feel like heaven on earth.  But to really know the score we have to run it through this filter:  “Do I have in mind the things of God or the things of men?”

Let’s say you are dating someone.  They’re so cute!  You get queasy thinking about them.  They’re smart and fun and hard working and polite.  Win, win, win. 

But they aren’t on fire for Christ. 

Listen to this.  They just aren’t that impressed with Jesus.

And you think this is a winning situation?

My friend, do you have in mind the things of God or the things of men?

You are in danger of waking up one day to a giant score reversal!  Everything you thought was a gain turns out to be a loss. 

And it’s not just dating.  It’s your career.  It’s how you handle money.  It’s your education.  It’s everything you do with your time.  In every area of life we must ask, “Do I have in mind the things of God or the things of men?”

The things of men can give us a nice score for a while.  But then comes the score reversal.  Like Paul we will suddenly see things the way they really are. 

And like Paul we will see that it’s loss, it’s just so much stinking trash compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus our Lord.
 

Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.
 

© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: