Thursday, January 08, 2009

Tim Tebow's Eye Black - Apples of Gold - January 8, 2009 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for January 8, 2009

“Tim Tebow’s Eye Black”

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow’s eye-black patches remind him: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”*

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Tim Tebow puts scripture on his eye black.

He’s the quarterback for the Florida Gators, who play
Oklahoma tonight for the college football national championship.

Eye black is that inky smudge players put below their eyes to make them look cool.  I mean to make them see better.

A while back I saw the camera zoom in on Tebow and right there on his face it said, “Phil 4:13.”

That’s Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

I love the fact that Tebow so boldly acknowledges Jesus Christ in the public arena.

Saturday night another boldly Christian quarterback will be playing a high profile game.  Kurt Warner will lead the Arizona Cardinals against the favored Carolina Panthers.

Again, I love the boldness of Warner when it comes to acknowledging Jesus Christ.

Jesus indicated in Matthew 10:32 that this is exactly what we should do.  We should all acknowledge Jesus Christ publicly.

So the question is, what are you doing to publicly acknowledge Christ?

A fish logo on your car?  Yes, that’s good.

Christian t-shirts?  Good.

I love what Steve Smith does right here in North Florida.  He has pulled together a group of men that goes out and does good deeds in the community.  Then they pass out a little card that says, “Why We’re Here.”  It explains that because of Jesus Christ, they do good deeds as a way of putting God’s love into action.

A woman told me recently about going to a meeting where most of the people would clearly not be Christians.  She had the habit of wearing a cross necklace, and someone told her, “You should not wear that to the meeting.  People will be offended.” 

She wore it anyway.  It was her way to publicly acknowledge Jesus Christ.

Are you on Facebook?  There are certain people you can always count on to blast out a powerful light for Christ. 

How about a manger scene in your front yard at Christmas?

I remember my brief stint at a country music station.  I put a Christian poster up on my bulletin board.  It was not popular.

You know what I love?  I love it when these community festivals feature Christian singers on their outdoor stages.  It’s great to be walking through a park somewhere and hearing the Lord’s praises echoing through the crowd.

See You at the Pole – now there’s a great way to publicly acknowledge Jesus at the public schools.

The National Day of Prayer right here at the capitol.  It’s an afternoon of boldly acknowledging Christ as the state lawmakers go about their business.

And the Bible reading we do on the steps facing the Supreme Court building.

In college a group of us created our own personal tracts.  They simply told how Jesus had changed our lives.  They included our name and even our phone number.

When my wife and I were dating, she was part of a group that put its picture in the newspaper – a group of people publicly acknowledging Jesus Christ and the impact He had on them.

Some businessmen simply put a little cross on their lapel.

Now let me ask, what are you doing to publicly acknowledge Christ?

Remember football superstar Reggie White?  He signed a lot of autographs, and he always included a Bible verse.

Really, you are only limited by your creativity.  Be original.  Be you.  Just don’t be ashamed.

Second Timothy 1:8 says, “…do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord…”

Paul wrote in Romans 1:16, “I am not ashamed of the Gospel…”

Jesus said in Mark 8:38, “If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His Father’s glory with the holy angels.”

So whatever you do, don’t be ashamed.

Instead, be bold.  Be public.  Be proud.

Find some way, like Tim Tebow with his eye black, to publicly acknowledge Jesus Christ.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.
 

*  Photo from the St. Petersburg Times:  http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/article956080.ece

© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: