Monday, April 20, 2009

Are You a Chameleon in Camouflage? - Apples of Gold - April 20, 2009 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.

 

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for April 20, 2009

“Are You a Chameleon in Camouflage?”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Does everyone know you are a Christian?

Or do you just sort of blend in with your surroundings?

It reminds me of an old song by Petra:
“Chameleon – you blend with your surroundings…
Chameleon – you change with every situation.”

So as a Christian, are you a chameleon?

Are there times when you just keep Jesus on the “down low”?

Now I’m thinking of an old song by Plus One:
“I don’t wanna be camouflage,
What I’m not,
‘Cause what I’ve got invades the world.”

So as a Christian, are you camouflaged? 

Do you put on a worldly camouflage in certain situations?

Do you tell Jesus to “just stay there in the back seat, would you?  And kind of lie down, if you don’t mind.”

Now look.  I know it’s tempting in some situations.  You don’t want to rock the boat.  You don’t want to jump up and down and shout, “Hey everybody, if you’re looking for someone to make fun of, your search is over!”

Nevertheless, we must not tuck our faith away in shame.

In Mark 8:38 Jesus gave us a little warning.  He said, “If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels.”

So we should not be ashamed of Jesus and His words.

Now I’m thinking of an old song by the Newsboys.  It’s called “I’m Not Ashamed” and I really like the second verse:

“This one says it’s a lost cause,
Save your testimonies for church time.
Other ones state,
You better wait
Until we do a little market research.”

See, those are people who think Jesus needs to be kept inside the four walls of a church.  Or if we decide to bring Him out, we need to do it tactfully so no one gets offended.

But the song goes on to say:

“I’m not ashamed to let you know,
I want this light in me to show,
I’m not ashamed to speak the name of Jesus Christ.”

It’s important to let people know we are Christians. 

In fact, I think it’s important to work it in there, right out of the box, right when we meet someone.

Not that you have to blurt it out upon introduction, “Hi, I’m Doug Apple, I love Jesus,” though that would get the job done.

But I think there are many opportunities to quite naturally work it into conversation.

See, out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.

When your heart is full of Jesus and His words, then that will flow out of your mouth.

Some people love sports, so sports things fly out of their mouth.  Some people love movies, and they quote them constantly.

Well Christians should be quoting Jesus – it should come out quite naturally.

Take me, for example.  I am constantly in the Word, studying the Bible.  And it just leaks out in conversation:  “Well the Bible says…” “Well, Jesus said…”

I don’t even think about being ashamed of Jesus or His words.  That is just my point of reference.  I’ll be dropping J-bombs and not even notice.

I saw on a website the other day where a girl wrote, “I’m a Christian, but what does that matter?”

Of course it matters, but you know what?  I was just glad that she openly admitted to being a Christian. 

Now what about you?  Does everyone know you are a Christian?

Whatever you do, don’t be a camouflaged chameleon.  Don’t be ashamed of Jesus or His words.  He warned us not to do that.

So don’t hold back.  When the opportunity presents itself, say it.

Let people know that you are not ashamed of Jesus Christ.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip 
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: