Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Faith vs. Fiery Darts - Apples of Gold - April 8, 2009 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.

 

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for April 8, 2009

“Faith vs. Fiery Darts”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Ephesians 6:16 says that “the wicked one” has “fiery darts.”

These fiery darts, also called flaming arrows, are being fired at us.

But it also says we have a shield.  What is it?

It is called faith. 

So how does faith shield us from the fiery darts of the wicked one?

Well let me tell you how I think it works in my life.

First of all, let me describe the shield. 

My shield of faith has several parts, and here they are:
--I believe in God.
--I believe in the God of the Bible, and I believe what the Bible says.
--I believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
--I believe in truth and righteousness.

These are some core components of my shield; my shield of faith.

So when I say that I’m “keeping the faith” it means that I’m firm in my beliefs in God and the Bible and the Gospel, etc.

And now listen to this.  This firm faith is exactly what protects me from the fiery darts of the wicked one.

Now the Bible doesn’t exactly say what those fiery darts are, but here is how I see it in my life.

When the enemy fires doubts at me, my shield of faith keeps them from hitting me.  Doubts don’t hit me because I don’t believe them.  Instead I believe in God and His Word.

When the enemy fires discouragement at me, it doesn’t hit me.  I’m a child of the King!  He has great plans for me, both for now and for eternity.  My faith is strong in the Lord, so darts of discouragement fall harmlessly away.

The enemy may fire darts of hopelessness at me, but they don’t hit me, because my hope is in the Lord.  That hope is unhittable.

The enemy may fire darts of temptation at me, but they can’t hit me when my shield is up.  My faith is firm in truth and righteousness, and that faith makes darts of temptation bounce away.

The enemy may fire darts of selfishness at me.  “Look out for number one!”  But my faith is firm in God’s Word to prefer others over myself.  That faith makes fiery darts of selfishness fall to the ground.

The enemy may fire darts of unforgiveness at me, but they don’t hit me.  My faith is firm in God’s command to forgive others as I have been forgiven. 

The enemy may fire darts of laziness at me, but my faith is firm in “six days thou shalt work.”

The enemy may fire darts to burn down my marriage, but my faith is firm in “’til death do you part” and “husband, love your wife.”  My faith in God’s commands is my shield against all sorts of darts at my marriage.

The enemy may fire darts at my family relationships, but I believe in love and duty and honor.  My faith in these Godly principles is firm.  The shield is strong, so darts cannot get through and destroy my family relationships.

It comes down to the fact that I believe what the Bible says.  I believe its promises and its precepts.  I believe it is true, and I put my hope in the God it talks about and the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I believe in eternity and all that God has for me.

I believe that God’s ways are the best ways.  I believe that God loves me, perfectly.  I believe that His plans are the best plans for my life. 

When my eyes are fixed on Him and His ways, my shield of faith grows.  The enemy finds it impossible to hit me behind that big shield.

I think of Job’s words.  “Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.”

That’s a big faith!  That is having your eyes firmly locked on the Lord. 

How can you get to a man with a shield that big?  You can’t!

So do you feel like an easy target for the wicked one? 

Then it’s time to use your shield of faith! 

And you do that by believing firmly in God and His Word.  You fix your eyes on Him, and believe. 

And then when the enemy fires his fiery darts, they will bounce harmlessly away.

He can’t hit you, because you are quenching all of his fiery darts with your great big shield of faith.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


 © 2009 The Arrow’s Tip 
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: