Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Baptism, Just Do It - Apples of Gold - August 19, 2008 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for August 19, 2008

“Baptism – Just Do It”


Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Why did I get baptized?

I believed in Jesus, that He died on the cross and was resurrected.  I repented of my sins and received His forgiveness.  I wanted to leave my old life behind and follow Him.

And as I read the Bible it appeared to me that there was a gate.  Everyone who followed Christ went through this gate – the gate of baptism.

I didn’t understand every nuance of baptism.  I didn’t seek out every possible teaching about it.  I just saw the simple truth that everyone who followed Jesus was baptized.  And since I so deeply wanted to follow Him, my Savior and Lord, I knew that I too must pass through that gate.

While Jesus walked the earth, when people came to Him, they were baptized.  In John 3:26 one man said, “He is baptizing, and everyone is going to Him.”

Then when Jesus was preparing to leave the earth, He gave His disciples the Great Commission.  Matthew 28:19 says, “…go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…”

When Peter preached his first big sermon, he said in Acts 2:38, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins…”

Notice that phrase “every one of you.”  They were all to be baptized. 

Then Acts 2:41 says, “Those who accepted his message were baptized…”

Several times in the book of Acts we read of people who believed and were baptized.  Of the jailer in Acts 16 we read, “...then immediately he and all his family were baptized.” 

They didn’t wait around to let it soak in.  They didn’t need a six week class on the doctrine of baptism.  They simply heard the Gospel, believed it, and were baptized.

Sometimes I hear of people who are reluctant to be baptized, and I don’t know what to say because I don’t see that in the Bible – at least not from believers.  Those who believed were eager to be baptized.

For example, look at the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts chapter 8.  Philip explained the Gospel to him as they rode along in a chariot.  Now look at verse 36.  “As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water.  Why shouldn’t I be baptized?” 

The Ethiopian was so eager to be baptized that he stopped at the first water hole he came to.  When it was done, verse 39 says he “went on his way rejoicing.”

Some people want to pick baptism apart.  They want to deconstruct it and know exactly what it does and how it works and the reasons for it.  But I love the spirit of the Ethiopian.  Just do it, then go on your way rejoicing.

The Bible tells of no one who believed up to the point of baptism, but then didn’t do it. 

Why would someone who says they believe not want to be baptized?  The only reason I can think of is pride.  The rich young man didn’t follow Jesus because it would cost him his money.  But what does baptism cost you?  The only thing I can think of is pride.  It’s kind of humbling to submit yourself to a strange ceremony with water. 

And I think that’s part of the point.  It’s a step of faith, an act of obedience, a sign of your belief. 

For me it was saying, “I do want a new life in Christ.  I want to be His disciple.  I am willing to deny myself, take up my cross and follow Him.  And if that means getting baptized, then where’s the water?  Let’s do it.”

So have you believed the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but for some reason put off baptism?

Then this message is for you.  Go through the gate.  Pass through the doorway that’s been entered by all the great believers.  Now is the time.  You say you believe.  It’s time to step forward and act on it. 

Follow the example of the Ethiopian eunuch.  Find some water and just do it.  Then go on your way rejoicing!


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.
 

© 2008 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: