Monday, August 11, 2008

A Word to Christian Communicators - Apples of Gold - August 11, 2008 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for August 11, 2008

“A Word to Christian Communicators”


Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

Mark 12:37 says that the large crowd listened to Jesus “with delight.”

Can the same be said of us?

If you are a Christian communicator, would you say that the crowd listens to you with delight?

Cicero was one of Rome’s greatest orators, and he said great communication needs three elements.  It should teach, it should motivate, and it should delight.

We Christian communicators are usually pretty good at teaching.  We can pass along facts all day long.  We lecture and preach, and we feel like we are doing our duty as long as we are communicating Godly truth.

But Cicero said in addition to teaching, great communication should also motivate.  He’s saying that it’s not good enough just to state the facts.  We should state them in such a way that it moves people.

Many Christian communicators are also great motivators.  Congregations are moved to action by great preaching.  Millions of Christians have been motivated by great speaking and writing and various uses of the media.

But what about Cicero’s other point?  Yes, we teach and even motivate, but what about this thing he called delight?

When I think of delight, I think of children when they see puppies.  I think of teenagers when they have a crush on someone.  I think of grownups planning their dream vacation.  Or, like it says in Mark 12:37, I think of an audience listening to Jesus.

When was the last time you were delighted by some form of communication?  I am often delighted when I hear a great new song.  I’m delighted when I hear a truth stated in a way that really turns on the light.  I’m delighted when I read a story that is so well written that I’m just sucked into it.  I’m delighted by a clever turn of phrase and by a creative video.  I’m delighted by the painting of Christian artist Ron DiCianni.

Now let me ask you.  If you are a Christian communicator, what are you doing to delight your audience?

When I think about delighting an audience, I think of the shepherds in Luke chapter two.  There they were, watching their flocks by night, and suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared, and the glory of the Lord shone around them.  He announced the birth of Christ, then was joined by a great company of the heavenly host, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”

Did God have to go to all that trouble to announce the birth of His Son?  Of course not.  He could have just passed on the facts.  But instead He made it a grand spectacle!

Think of the Day of Pentecost in the upper room, with the tongues of fire and the rushing wind. 

Think of Moses and the burning bush.

Think of Paul on the road to Damascus.

Think of Jesus’ baptism, with heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending like a dove and a voice from heaven declaring, “Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

Let me tell you, God knows how to delight His audience!

And you know what?  So does the world.  In fact, the world thrives on it.  When they make a hit movie, it’s all about delighting the audience.  They are so delighted they can’t wait for the next one.

Is that the way our audience feels about us as Christian communicators? 

Now listen, I’m not talking about watering down the Gospel.  We still communicate Christ in all His glory, and we do it in such a way to delight the audience.

What’s the difference between delighting the audience or not?  I think it comes down to work.

Have you ever had a Sunday school teacher who simply read the book to you?  They did no work on the lesson, and it delighted no one.  And with no delight, is anyone listening at all?

Compare that to a Sunday school teacher who studies the lesson, then thinks of ways to delight the class – while teaching the lesson. 

One time I was asked to teach a seminar for school teachers.  Instead of lecturing them, I took a lot of extra time to write out a skit to illustrate the point.  Then I had the teachers get up and read the script.  It really brought the lesson to life and delighted the audience in the process. 

This applies to preaching and teaching.  It applies to all forms of Christian communication.  If you have a website, does it delight?  If you have a radio show or a TV show, are you working to delight your audience?  If you are a writer, if you’re in a singing group, what are you doing to delight your audience?

Jesus said in Mark 16:15, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.”

We can do that poorly, or we can do that to the best of our ability.  And if we want to do our best, then I think we need Cicero’s three elements of great communication.  We need to teach, we need to motivate, and we need to delight.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.


© 2008 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: