Monday, August 18, 2008

Kuriai Doxai de Xristos - Apples of Gold - August 18, 2008 -vi-

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for August 18, 2008

“Kuriai Doxai de Xristos”


Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

“Dude, why do you have a tattoo of a fish on your neck?”

“It’s not just a fish.  It’s the Pygocentrus Nattereri, the symbol of the Mekong Kuriai.”

“Say what?”

“The Mekong Kuriai.  Haven’t you heard of him?”

“Not hardly.  Has anyone heard of him?”

“Oh yes, he’s a great teacher in Vietnam.  I became his follower three years ago.”

“So you are a follower of the Mekong Kuriai?  What exactly does that mean, besides having a fish tattoo on your neck?”

“It means I follow the teachings of the Mekong Kuriai.  I do whatever he says.  Last year he said all his followers were to prominently display the ‘Symbol of the Centrus,’ and you’ve got to admit, it doesn’t get much more prominent than this.”

“So you do whatever he says?”

“Oh yes.  If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be his follower, would I?”

“And what does he tell you to do?”

“It happens once a year, when he publishes his Kuriai Doxai.*  It includes all of his current teachings, and that’s what we focus on all year.  We study it and master it.” 

“And whatever it says, that’s what you do?”

“Absolutely.  Like I said, if I didn’t, I wouldn’t be his follower, would I?”

- - - - - - - - - -

Now let that echo through your brain.  “If I didn’t do what he said, I wouldn’t be his follower, would I?”

That’s a lesson all of us Christians need to learn.  We say we are followers of Christ, but do we study what He said?  Do we master it and live it?

I confess, I just made up that whole story about the Mekong Kuriai; but can you imagine someone like that, someone who just dove into someone’s teachings hook, line and sinker?  Some people do that with Eckhart Tolle or Wayne Dyer or Rhonda Byrne. 

But do we Christians do that with Jesus? 

When someone is a fanatic follower, we say, “They don’t even think for themselves.  They just do whatever their leader says.  It’s some kind of cult.” 

But you know what?  Those cults are a counterfeit of something real.  The real thing is to be a true follower of Jesus Christ.

In a cult, you lose your freedom.  But followers of Christ find freedom.  Listen to what Jesus said in John 8, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Follow that progression to freedom.  It starts by holding to the teachings of Jesus.

That means we must know what they are.  We need to study them and master them.

Have you been studying the teachings of Jesus?  It never ends.  We constantly look into the teachings of Jesus and put them into practice.  It’s a life long pursuit.

I said I made up the Mekong cult, but what about the name of his teachings, “Kuriai Doxai.”  That means “principal doctrines.”

Do you know the Kuriai Doxai of Jesus?  Do you have notebooks where you have written down the Kuriai Doxai and how it applies to your life?

Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.”  But do we even know His teaching? 

It’s time to dive into the teaching of Jesus.  We need to study it and memorize it.  We need to compile it and organize it and learn it inside and out. 

So get out your Bible and let the learning begin.  Be a radical follower of Christ.  And it starts with a thorough study of His master teachings – the Kuriai Doxai de Xristos.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.
 
*  Pronounced COOR-eee-eye DAWKS-eye, according to Dr. John Marincola, professor of Greek historiography and rhetoric at
Florida State University.  He said the phrase means “important or principle doctrines.”

© 2008 The Arrow’s Tip
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: