Monday, June 29, 2009

The Tallahassee Democrat - Apples of Gold - June 29, 2009 -vi-

To listen to the radio version, click here.

 

To search archives, click here.

Apples of Gold
 

Radio Script for June 29, 2009

“The Tallahassee Democrat”

 

Hello, I’m Doug Apple…with Apples of Gold.

“I’ll be there at the crack of dawn.”

“Okay, I’ll be ready,” I said.

And I was.  But he wasn’t. 

So while I waited, I whiled away the time at Tallahassee.com.

That’s the website for our local daily newspaper, the Tallahassee Democrat.

And I just happened to stumble across a little notice that they were looking for “bloggers,” that is, people who would write on a regular basis for the website.

You had to submit samples of your writing, and only a few would be chosen as “featured bloggers.”

Well, I had time to kill while I waited for my friend, so I figured, “Why not?  I’m writing anyway.  Maybe this is a God-thing.”

So I submitted some of my writing, and sure enough, I was offered one of the premium slots.

Now you may have noticed that Apples of Gold covers a broad spectrum of topics.  Many times it is hard-core Bible study, and other times it is basic advice for life.

Well a couple years ago, when I starting writing for Tallahassee.com, I chose to steer away from the hard-core Bible studies.  Oh, I still include plenty of the Word, but the topics are less devotional and more practical.

I figured articles like that would be more palatable and draw more readers on a secular website.

But I was never completely comfortable with that decision.  I believe in shining the light of God’s Word.  I believe Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.  I believe the Lord is the awesome agent of change that our world so desperately needs.

Practical advice is helpful and necessary, but what we really need is salvation through Jesus.  We need forgiveness for our sins.  We need to be right with God.  And we need His Holy Spirit to lead us and guide us through all of life.

So that brings us to this past Saturday morning.  As I woke up, a great idea popped into my head.

That happens to me a lot, by the way.  I wake up and bam!  There it is, a great idea.

I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of it before.

But the idea was to start posting a Sunday morning devotional on Tallahassee.com.  It’s Sunday, a day in which many people are more tilted towards spiritual matters.  And it’s clearly labeled as a devotional, so it’s not like I’m trying to spring a God-trap on unsuspecting readers.

So starting yesterday, and from now on, each week there will be a Sunday Morning Devotional on the Tallahassee Democrat website.

Now you might be thinking, “Who cares?  Big deal.  The internet is full of stuff like that.”

Here’s the difference.  Tallahassee.com has millions of visitors, many of whom would never visit a Christian website.  Many don’t go to church or listen to Christian radio or watch Christian TV.  But they will visit this website for the capital city of Florida.

And right there on the home page, in the middle of all that other stuff, is this little beacon of light – the hope of the Gospel.

I realize it’s not exactly MSN.com, or Google.  But listen – it’s the opportunity that was given to me, and I’m taking advantage of it.

It reminds me of what John the Baptist said in John 3:27, “A man can receive only what is given him from heaven.”

I believe God gave me the interest in writing and some talent to do it, which I have surrendered back to Him to use for His glory and for the blessing of people. 

And I believe God gave me the opportunity to be a featured writer on Tallahassee.com. 

I know it’s not that big of a deal, but I believe it’s an opportunity that God brought right to my doorstep.  “A man can receive only what is given him from heaven.”  That is true.  And then the question is, what are we doing with what we have received?

John chapter four tells of Jesus’ encounter with the woman at the well.  After talking to Jesus, it says, “…the woman went back to the town and said to the people…”

That’s what she did with what she had received in just one encounter with Jesus.  She immediately spread it around town.

And John 4:39 says, “Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in Him because of the woman’s testimony…”

How can people believe unless they hear?  And how can they hear unless we tell?

Well I believe God is giving us all opportunities to tell; and it’s up to us to spot those opportunities and take advantage of them.

I am taking advantage of the opportunity to share Jesus on Tallahassee.com.

The Samaritan woman took advantage of the opportunity to share Jesus in her little village.

And what about you?  I say, watch for opportunities. 

Yes, I believe God is going to bring right to your doorstep great opportunities to step up and share Jesus right there in your little part of the world.


Comments?

E-mail me:  dougapple@wave94.com.

May God bless you today!  With Apples of Gold…I’m Doug Apple.

www.Tallahassee.com – the featured bloggers are shown at the bottom of the home page – in order of the most recent posting.  As of Monday morning the Sunday Morning Devotional was still showing, but it will be bumped down the list as others post new blogs.

© 2009 The Arrow’s Tip 
To subscribe to your own daily “Apples of Gold” e-mail, write dougapple@wave94.com.
If you want to be removed from this e-mail list, simply click reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE on the subject line.
If you want to catch “Apples of Gold” in its original audio format, go to www.wave94.com
To search through the large archive of past articles, go here:  http://www.wave94.com/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive
If you have trouble reaching me at my main e-mail address, try this one:  douglas_apple@msn.com

(Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”)

Why “The Arrow’s Tip”?  Each morning, after diligently seeking the Lord, I write Apples of Gold.  Then before I release it to the public I pray one final prayer, “Lord, send forth your arrows.”  I envision Apples of Gold as arrows, tips dipped in the river of the water of life that flows from the throne of God (Rev. 22:1), sailing toward the hearts and minds of men and women around the world.

Doug Apple
General Manager - Wave 94
Christian Radio for
Tallahassee
PO Box 4105
Tallahassee, FL  32315
(850) 926-8000

-vi-

No comments: